Guide To Keg Forced Carbonation.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got 3 kegs to do at once with a line splitter. Does this change the pressure? Also I can't fit all three in the fridge.

I dont have a keg fridge at all. (I use a jockey box) so I force carb at room temperature. (I found a calculator on line). It works perfectly well.

Splitters are awesome.

Also got the micromatic secondary reg. Awesome investment. Does lower carbonated beers on the same line and I can isolated carbonated beers whilst force carbing a new keg.

Also I can't fit all three in the fridge.

THAT changes the pressure required to achieve the same volume of CO2. :) You'll need a higher pressure for warmer keg(s).

Hi gents, did a search but couldnt find an appropriate answer. I have a 4l ikegger keg thats ready to carbonate using the 16g co2 cartridges, whats the correct procedure for this ?
The how to video's on their site dont really explain it.

Assuming you have a mini regulator, a 16gm cartridge will carbonate about 3/4 of the 4 litre mini therefore you will need two to carbonate and there will be enough left over for dispensing.
Chill keg overnight, connect reg/gas set up and set gauge to dispensing pressure ( say 8 to 10 psi) and put back in the fridge. After a day or so it should be empty and connect the next.
If going to " force carbonate" chill keg, connect reg/gas set up and lay keg on its side ( best to have non return valve to reg). Rock back and forward until you can not hear any more bubbling. Connect next cartridge and put in fridge, should be ok in a few hours.

Assuming you have a mini regulator, a 16gm cartridge will carbonate about 3/4 of the 4 litre mini therefore you will need two to carbonate and there will be enough left over for dispensing.
Chill keg overnight, connect reg/gas set up and set gauge to dispensing pressure ( say 8 to 10 psi) and put back in the fridge. After a day or so it should be empty and connect the next.
If going to " force carbonate" chill keg, connect reg/gas set up and lay keg on its side ( best to have non return valve to reg). Rock back and forward until you can not hear any more bubbling. Connect next cartridge and put in fridge, should be ok in a few hours.

Hi Grot, no mini reg just yet, just using the co2 injector and picnic tap.

I take it you have no other co2 source other than the injector. If so you need to give the keg a good blast of gas, chill and keep giving it a blast ( every hour or so) until cartridge empty. Attach a new cartridge and test pour, if still a bit flat keeping doing until you are happy with the pour. When at that stage you only need to give smaller blasts of co2 to dispense. You will get the hang of it.

Just got my mini reg today so will gas up a lager i have in the keg ready to go, also got a tap shank adapter to use untill i finish a fridge tap and font conversion.

I just use the gas disconnect and just turn the reg up flat out and shake like buggery. I used to turn the keg on its side but I don't bother anymore.

Also, I am in the habit of chilling the beer in the fermenter before I transfer to keg. Since I normally keg on the weekend, I start the chilling on say Thu night. I have no problems sampling beer pretty much after shake rattle and roll bizzo although it definitately takes a bit to settle down to the perfect carbonation.

As a first time kegger, might I ask how long you shake for?

I cold crash my batches and keg at 4 degrees or less then I take them to my kegerator where my gas is and purge the air out. I disconnect any other kegs, bump up the pressure to about 20psi and rock them standing up right so you can hear the gas mixing in for about two minutes or so and then leave it sit for ten minutes to settle then repeat until it almost right or just a little under carbed. I'll then adjust the pressure down purge any excess pressure, reconnect the other kegs and away I go. I use to rock them on the sides but I find my way much easier. I'm never in to much rush as the keg needs a week or two to clear anyway.

humour this new kegger. I kegged my second beer last night and am hoping to have it carbonated by Saturday week. By the time this is cooled to 6C or so, that gives me about 11-12 days to get it carbonated. BUT, i also have another beer in there that should be at max carbonation.

I was thinking maybe burst the new keg with 30-40PSI for 24 hours, then purge and set back to serving pressure/"set and forget" pressure? 11-12 days could be cutting it fine to just go set and forget with this keg as well.

11 or 12 days would just about get you there. If you’re worried, I’d just Ross method for 30 psi at 30 secs. Give it 10 minutes to settle or just pull the prv with a towel covering the little spray that’ll come out. Then give her a quick burp, leave at set and forget.

That way it’d kick things a long a little, but less likely to overcarb than 40psi for 24hrs...

Latest posts

Back