Grunt From Your Burner

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's the burner of choice?

• Nasa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 Ring

• 4 ring

• Mongolian

• Something else

• Total voters
1AG009.jpg

No problems with the soot etc, the lip seems to contain it all.
Looks like a car thats running a bit rich, If you are getting that much sooting then you don't have enough O getting to the burner, you shouldn't get much at all if your air fuel mix is close.

Yeah..Makes a bit of noise :super:

I started with a Full Bottle and I'm keeping all the times etc in the Brewlog so when it dies I'll have some figures then.

Screwtop,

Yeah mate, that was the first run, bringing the Strike up, i think the pic is a bit deceiving with the glowing etc, once it's up and boiling it only takes a slight flame to keep it rolling.

1AG009.jpg

No problems with the soot etc, the lip seems to contain it all.

Yard

Mmmmmmm.... kettle caramelisation. :blink:

Warren -

Looks like a car thats running a bit rich, If you are getting that much sooting then you don't have enough O getting to the burner, you shouldn't get much at all if your air fuel mix is close.

It keeps a nice rolling boil though :)

Mmmmmmm.... kettle caramelisation. :blink:

Warren -

hi, could you inform us of the hole size (orifice size) that you have designed for the gas . have you considered marketing your invention.?

lpg gas water tank(glass lined) is good also for a kettle.

cheers alan

Ausdb,

Yeah, it's just the nature of the torch mate, as any Boily / Fitter / Welder will tell you, low heat with these heaters = soot.
Btw, I'm familiar with the torch you were using, why'd you give up ?

Cheers

Ausdb,

Yeah, it's just the nature of the torch mate, as any Boily / Fitter / Welder will tell you, low heat with these heaters = soot.
Btw, I'm familiar with the torch you were using, why'd you give up ?
I went from boiling in a 50L keg to an 80L stockpot, and borrowed a four ring burner. It's not quite as quick as the blowtorch but is way quieter and doesnt annoy the neighbours as much! I'm planning a big brewday again and will try and get a 200L vessel boiling so the blowtorch may get another outing.

I went from boiling in a 50L keg to an 80L stockpot, and borrowed a four ring burner. It's not quite as quick as the blowtorch but is way quieter and doesnt annoy the neighbours as much! I'm planning a big brewday again and will try and get a 200L vessel boiling so the blowtorch may get another outing.

Jeezus, make sure you get some pics of that :blink: :super:

Yard

Well I finally got back to messing with the nasa on my own brewery, and after purchasing another regulator (a 2 cubic mtre/hour high pressure reg non-adjustable) have finally got it going properly. Maybe a little too properly..... :super:
afterglow.jpg

Click here to hear the blast ( .wav file recorded from 3 metres away with a phone)
When I tested it without the wind & blast guards on it, it got 70 litres to the full boil from 20 degrees in about 18 minutes with the lid off, rate of temperature change was about 5 degrees a minute. Haven't done the full boil with the guards on yet, I have to put a heat shield underneath as yet so the cfwc, pump and water filter unit don't melt from the radiant heat :unsure:
Cheers for the help everyone, now I have to figure out what to do with the $80 italian spiral burner........oh well, I'll find a use I'm sure.

Glad you could get it sorted out in the end. It didn't seem right that a NASA couldn't cope with 70L with ease. :unsure:

Certainly sounds good to go now. :super:

I loooooove my mongolian burner

The nasa's look like a great option though :) ..... if i didnt already have a rambo B)

cheers

Have the same thing here, using a normal low pressue reg, works great for big 80L+ boils!

Re: natural gas he said that they can be swapped over - but there will be a noticeable drop in pressure / flame

The jets just need to be drilled and he said a regulator won't be needed

Also he said that if the burner was near enough to the main distribution point that the flame would still be decent

Cheers

Sorry to drag this old thread up, but I'm interested to know how the natural gas conversion went.
Did you end up doing the conversion Cortez? and if so how did you find the burner?

Benniee

So just a quick question on all of this... I'm currently running a 3ring burner off a normal, Low Pressure, 2.5Kg/hour regulator.

It currently takes close to an hour (if not 90mins!) to get 30-odd litres of tap water to the boil. Takes about 45mins to get the 30L to 65C.

Should I expect a big difference with swapping to a HP regulator like the ones you can get from Grain & Grape or is it not really worth the expense?

Can't really afford to upgrade the burner just yet :(

Tim

Hi Phrak,
You could be on the right track there, Ross's system has a three ring burner with a HP regulator and it hoots. I've tried connecting mine to a HP reg. and the flame kept blowing out, I reckon you would need to play around with the air inlet to get a higher volume of air in there.

cheers

Browndog

I bought my nasa setup from adelaide for $129 delivered (globe imports)

My understanding is that HP reg will boost the output of the 3 ring burners

Takes me stuff all time to get about 20L to mash in temps and not much time to get the kettle to the boil after sparging

Cheers

I use a 3 ring, if you close (screw in) the little plates that control airflow to the rings you will get a sooty yellow flame, as you open the plates the flame goes a nice blue and sound a bit louder. playing with this and the gas reg at the same time you can tune it quite nicely.

With a kettle on top you need adequate room between it and the burner or else the flames will just burn yellow no matter how much oxygen you throw in from the back, they need some oxygen up the other end too I think. I can't get more than 2 rings going properly on mine while the kettle is sitting on top.

I reckon you would need to play around with the air inlet to get a higher volume of air in there.
Kinda like this you reckon? :lol:
turbo_burner.JPG

Thanks for the advice fellas. Will add a HP reg and hose to my Birthday list :D

Sammus, do you use a 3 ring AND a HP reg?

I've found a similar situation with my LP reg and 3ring - I've got my kettle sitting on two bricks, at the "medium" height. ie. brick sitting long, narrow face down.
This gives me between 5cm and 10cm of space between the convex bottom of my keg-shaped kettle.

By having the two outer rings on full, and the inner ring on roughly half, and all three air plates screwed all the way out, gives me a nice blue flame on all three rings.

Best I can do so far.
Tim.

So just a quick question on all of this... I'm currently running a 3ring burner off a normal, Low Pressure, 2.5Kg/hour regulator.

It currently takes close to an hour (if not 90mins!) to get 30-odd litres of tap water to the boil. Takes about 45mins to get the 30L to 65C.

Should I expect a big difference with swapping to a HP regulator like the ones you can get from Grain & Grape or is it not really worth the expense?

Can't really afford to upgrade the burner just yet :(

Tim

I had a win with my 4 ring burner. I was very dissapointed in the output and the vigor of the boil with my 50l SS vessel with a starting volume of typically 37l. I bit the bullet and purchased one of these from eBay. I had to wind the output WAAAAY back to prevent the flame from blowing out/ going a little crazy. But it is great for both a great heat output and being adjustable you can 'tweak it' with far more accuracy than just shutting off an entire ring.

OK, on doing a search for the product on the forum I can see you have had a look at these previously but was hesitant (understandably). I haven't had any probs with mine at all but if you are wary grab one of those gas fuses from Bunnings or similar and that should improve your piece of mind.
Cheers
Doug

Back