Group Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love smokey too! But there is such a thing as too smokey!

Not such thing as too much smoke :D

I dropped my 5 six packs off to Dick's yesterday, I tried my beers on Wednesday night and they are not carbonated yet. I gave them a bit of a shake, but I still think it will be a few weeks before they are ready to be tried.

Having said that, what I did try was very uninspiring. I cna't put my finger on why is it so one dimentional, but I just hope it was just excess sweetness from the carbonation sugar that has get to be fermented properly

Sorry guys, sick wife and baby rules me out for today.
Catch up next time.

Ben

Yogi Beer said:
Sorry guys, sick wife and baby rules me out for today.
Catch up next time.

Ben
i think i ended up with your share.
swing me a PM to organise pickup

apparently Ben has had a bad case of the man flu, his share is still keeping my shelves looking healthy

I am pretty sure I have to get some beers off ben.

Ill figure it out.

I have already cracked a few of the barleywines, and i think you guys have done a steller job

Cheers Pete, lining up getting my beers from n87 this weekend. Very serious man flu last week!

I will give my Barley Wine another taste this weekend and make the final call to dump or share. I bottled one stubbie and the carbonation seems to hide the phenolic I was getting when it was still, in the fermenter.
If I do dump it are you guys happy with a mixed 6 pack of my beers in its place?

Ben if the carbonation is hiding the flavor then don't stress about it, I'm more than happy for a 6 pack of your barley wine! Let us be the judge!

Yeah im keen to try yours ben, no matter what it tastes like.
I tried yours last night KT - well done! It was great! Reminded me of a chimay blue or other Belgian dark strong.

Gingerbrew said:
I tried yours last night KT - well done! It was great! Reminded me of a chimay blue or other Belgian dark strong.
Oooh, I'll have to try one myself then.
Found it screaming "I'm too young!" on the first (and only) taste test ... guess it's a couple of months old now.

Pete yours was good, definitely has a smokey hint, carbonation was good. I had one of mine and it needs more carbonation but still sweet and smooth!

Thanks Jay. I haven't tried mine in about a month, but glad to hear its holding up. I thought it was a bit plain when I tried it. May have to chill one down in the next few weeks to see what's changed.

Any other takers on the Newcastle trip? Jay, I know you were keen...

I tasted one of mine last weekend.

It was nice, quite smooth, subtle smokey flavour ;)
Sweet-ish, but not cloying.

So what's that then, 11 months old.

Back