Grolsh Swingtop Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Are you bulletproof boy?
Reaction score
Hi Brewers,
I'm currently fermenting a tripel that I'd like to put away for 12 months or so, I've got a heap of 500ml grolsh swing tops, would these be up to the task for secondary fermentation and 12-18months storage or should I use crown seal bottles.

cheers

Browndog

Gday Browndog I use grolsh bottles and have a stout that was brewed about 12 month ago and tasting nice at the mo
have not had any problem with long storage

Frenzel

i havnt stored anything in grolsch bottles for 12 months. but i did have a 5 month old pale ale out of a grolsch bottle last night and it had gone flat. i find a fair number of the seals dont seal properly (you can replace them). so yeah, if your going to the effort of storing them for that long, i reckon crown seal bottles would be better. just my opinion.

if you really wanna use grolsch bottles, perhaps replace all the seals first?

catch
gerald

Check the seals, If they're OK you can store up to 18 months and counting from my experience.

Judging from the varied responses above I'd say that champagne bottles are the go Browndog. Better to be sure than sorry? Easy enough to get hold of & take up less space. You could always replace all the Grolsh seals of course? :)

TP :beer:

The seal would be the most important for long term aging.

I don't really know how good a seal the grolsh bottle would hold. I assume that with new seals it would probably be O.K.
If you really want to be sure it would probably be safer capping.

You could always do both and see how it goes.

Back