Grolsch Swing Tops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norsman

Reaction score
hey all, I've noticed a trend in my beers since I started using a few Grolsch swing tops to bottle my beer. The beer that goes into my grolsch bottles ALWAYS has better head and head retention than the beer in my 12 oz. bottles. Has anyone else observed this or know why?

hey all, I've noticed a trend in my beers since I started using a few Grolsch swing tops to bottle my beer. The beer that goes into my grolsch bottles ALWAYS has better head and head retention than the beer in my 12 oz. bottles. Has anyone else observed this or know why?
I have found the same thing. I don't know why.

Could well be a co-in-ki-dink, or maybe the crown seals/pet caps you have been using weren't cleaned well enough, or rinsed well enough. Detergents and other oils can ruin head retention.

Guy at work pulled me up after the holidays and said exactly the same thing...spooky.
Personally I haven't noticed a difference between crown seal and swing tops

Guy at work pulled me up after the holidays and said exactly the same thing...spooky.
Personally I haven't noticed a difference between crown seal and swing tops

maybe the embossing on the inside glass is acting like the glasses that are purposely scratched to improve the head? :blink: I dunno. Ive never noticed any difference to be honest.
Cheers
Steve

Could well be a co-in-ki-dink, or maybe the crown seals/pet caps you have been using weren't cleaned well enough, or rinsed well enough. Detergents and other oils can ruin head retention.

I don't use any oils or detergents to clean my bottles, just a bleach solution followed by a triple rinse, and I always boil my crown caps prior to capping. I've been wondering if it is the shape of the bottle that have something do with the head. Grolsh are wider compared to height whereas a 12 oz is thinner compared to height. Would aging beer on a larger area of yeast (as in the grolsch) possibly do something to the beer?

The shape of the bottle will probably change conditioning if theres more contact between teh yeast and the beer, and possibly speed up carbonation. From what I've read head retention (neglecting anything artificial that reduces is) is based on the viscosity of the beer, which can be increased by long-chain, unfermented sugars, dextrins, etc. so different bottles shouldnt technically change head retention.

Do you bulk prime? If not, you may have some inconsistent carbonation. It could seem like there is better head retention when in fact its just more head.

Could also be something to do with how you pour from the bottle, and as mentioned possible embossing on the inside of the bottles. Once again, this could increase head, but not theoretically increase head retention.

Back