Grolsch bottles for ginger beer? Non explode?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dibby33

Reaction score
I have a ginger beer to bottle today and I am being overly cautious about bottle bombs. The fg has not moved for two weeks - even with moving the barrel to get the yeast back into suspension.

My question is - will the tops allow extreme pressure to be released?

I asked the same question a while ago re a mead and the answer was no, swingtops will not prevent bottle bombs.

Grolsch style caps can be used to release pressure then easily be resealed though, if you are concerned about bombs bottle one or two in pet bottles and use them to monitor pressure ( squeeze test ) in the rest of the batch in Grolsch bottles. Compare to a soft drink bottle and if it feels too hard you can let off pressure in the bottles.

I remember a fellow brewer mentioning to me that he had bottled some beer in grolsch swing tops and could here a burping noise when he went into his garage: turned out the pressure was pushing the rubber seal out and venting every few minutes. It is no guarantee against bottle bombs but at least in this situation the bottle was releasing pressure.

I would have thought that the rubber would have to give before the glass. Maybe.
I might have to do a controlled experiment.

If you bottle to early , from personal experience , you will have two outcomes

1- the CO2 will escape from the seal particularly if it is a soft silicon seal or an old original seal

2- they will explode

make sure they are in a milk crate which will give some safety , but not guaranteed

I bottle all my brew in grolsh

I do love the bottles, Bit on the expensive side but I am slowly building up a stock.

The gb had been in the barrel for about four weeks.
I ended up not using the Grolsch. Used normal and they are in a crate with a lid.

I love the gb as it is so quick to make but need to get a full proof brew plan going!
Chilli ginger beer is up next. Lol

What was your FG, and what was your expected FG? If you made it from scratch and it was all simple sugar, it should have finished very dry. If it was a kit, hopefully it finished close to the expected FG. If either of these is correct, I reckon you'll be ok - you let it sit at FG for 2 weeks

Latest posts

Back