Grolsch Beer And Bottles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mickk

Reaction score
This is a great drop, Icy cold it cant be beaten for a commercial beer. I love the bottles and was upset when they went from porcelin swing lids to plastic ones.

Anyway a case of 24 x 355ml swinglids is about $60.00, thats $22.00 more than a slab of normal 375ml stubbies. So a mouthful short x 24 is umm 1 stubby. Hmm so say Im paying $25.00 for 24 reusable bottles for home brew.

Although a bit smaller than most, this price seems to stand up pretty well against new bottles. Coopers 12 x 750ml PET are $12.95 plus some shocking postage I imagine.

So shuld I force feed myself a few slabs of Grolsch? hmm? :blink:

I used to quite enjoy a grolsh out at a nice resturant. I've had some good ones. but last one I had was after a few home brews and it tasted horrible. this wasn'ta swing top though, it was a normal crown seal bottle. so not sure if they taste different

Grolsch is one of my favorite beers and being a K&K person the brewcraft dutch lager with extra hallertau hops in it comes very close to it after 6 weeks of fermenting/racking and then 3 months CC'ing.

It takes a long time, but very well worth it, got 50Ltrs of it ready to go soon and I can't wait!

Have swingtops changed in size?

I know that they used to be 500ml and were downsized to 473ml (which is some std size in US fluid ounces).

I hadn't heard of 355ml swingers, so how long have they been around?

just for reference, 473ml is an american pint.

I'm the same as you weiz,
I haven't seen 355ml swingtops
At $60 a slab for swing tops sounds pretty cheap though..

Maybe ive been dudded, the 473ml ones are $80.00 a slab.

Grolsch is a great drop for a commercial - or I thought so until I got into AG. I use all swing tops for my home brew. Have not heard or seen any plastic swing tops? Only 473 ml so far as I know. You can get them at Dan Murphy for about $70 a case.

Yes Mickk - forcefeed the Grolsch and then get into AG.

Cheers, Hogan.

Hogan,

The plastic swingtop refers only to the stopper at the top. They used to be porcelain/ceramic.

Schwelmer Bernstein and Pils are in 500 ml bottles, are cheaper than Grolsch (around here anyway) and have ceramic stoppers (with urethane-looking seal).

Seth :p

Seth - the plastic stoppers must be quite new. I have 120 swing tops that I collected last year and all are ceramic. If I need to up my stock I will have a look at the Schwelmer.

Cheers, Hogan.

The ceramic tops were causing explosive problems in glass recycling plants, so they had to switch to plastic. Didn't I read that somewhere on AHB?

And another quick FYI...

473ml x 20 per slab ...9460ml ($80)
=$8/L

or

355ml x 24 per slab ...8520ml ($60)
=$7/L

I think those are the numbers

Those 355ml bottles are starting to look good!

Latest posts

Back