'green Tasting' Beer.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave70

Le roi est mort..
Reaction score
What beer styles would be best described as 'green' tasting and what governs the amount of 'greenness'?
Is it a certain kind of hop that imparts the flavour or just a trait of a hop driven beer like an IPA for example?

The reason I'm asking is because I sampled a few delicious Moo Brew stouts (it must have been a small batch cos they don't produce a comercial stout) on tap from a pub in Hobart over new years and I'm trying to figure out what hops they used. I've even asked Moo Brew direct, but they remained tight lipped - pfft..arseholes..

If you could imagine a stout that's more hoppy than malty without being overly bitter, thats what I'm getting at. Not sure if green tasting is the right expression, but thats what sprang to mind and while I'm having a play with a few small batches of stout I'm going to have a crack at something similar.

cheers

Green usually refers to young, unconditioned beer. Green as in unripe.

trying to decipher your post you are trying to get big hop flavour.

Have a look at hop bursting.

Does hop flavour usually take longer to come out in darker beers? Have a young American Brown and its just green and bitter 3.5 weeks from brewday. Its smoothing out a bit but the large late dose of amarillo has not emerged yet. Malt flavours havent really developed yet either. Can feel that they will come out soon though.

Nah, green as in roughish and sharp - expected flavour not coming through. Especially the hop character which doesn't seem to be there yet

Green usually refers to young, unconditioned beer. Green as in unripe.

Just saw the subtitle of the thread. Sorry Dave70.

@foles: my experience of amarillo, particularly if used in spades as a flavour addition, is that it needs a bit of time to settle.

I guess. The article discusses late hopping which is also exemplified in the recipe, but the 2 concepts are different. I could add 1 hop addition 10 mins before flameout and that'd still be late hopping, but not hopbursting...

BTW - late hopping is another way to achieve what you're after

Latest posts

Back