Green Bullet Hops N.z.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
On another thread someone said they had excellent results using NZ Green Bullet flowers in a Pilsener. I got some from CraftBrewer about a month ago and this evening I've finally got round to doing a partial with:

1kg UK lager malt, mashed at 68 degrees
a Morgans Canadian Light as an ingredient (I've used this before and it makes a great 'filler' as there's not much hop or 'unwanted' colour)
1.5kg LDME,
300g Carapils steeped

Anyway on getting the green bullet out of the fridge I note they have an AA 13.5% :eek: as opposed to the humble 8.5% of my packet of NZ Saaz and even lower of my Czech Saaz plugs. I'm going to use plugs at the end of the boil and later dry hop with Tettnang pellets but I'm a little out of my depth using the green bullet as bittering hops.

I was going to use half the packet (45g) but may cut it down to 30g, or is that being timid? :unsure: - I'm going for aroma rather than raw German Bitterness Achtung here.

Cheers

On another thread someone said they had excellent results using NZ Green Bullet flowers in a Pilsener. I got some from CraftBrewer about a month ago and this evening I've finally got round to doing a partial with:

1kg UK lager malt, mashed at 68 degrees
a Morgans Canadian Light as an ingredient (I've used this before and it makes a great 'filler' as there's not much hop or 'unwanted' colour)
1.5kg LDME,
300g Carapils steeped

Anyway on getting the green bullet out of the fridge I note they have an AA 13.5% :eek: as opposed to the humble 8.5% of my packet of NZ Saaz and even lower of my Czech Saaz plugs. I'm going to use plugs at the end of the boil and later dry hop with Tettnang pellets but I'm a little out of my depth using the green bullet as bittering hops.

I was going to use half the packet (45g) but may cut it down to 30g, or is that being timid? :unsure: - I'm going for aroma rather than raw German Bitterness Achtung here.

Cheers

Mate,

30g of green Bullet in a standard 5 gal batch boiled for 60 mins will give an approx IBU of about 50. I would not recommend using this much of any hop you haven't tried before in a beer like what you have described. Cut it back to about 12g and you will have a much nicer drop around 25-30 IBU especially since you intend to add extra Saaz and Tettnang.

Thanks, about to boil shortly so will cut back the Green Bullet! ;) I might up the aroma hops by a plug or two.

cheers

You get plenty of bang for your buck with Green Bullet. I love the stuff!

As has been mentioned, you may want to go easy on them because they arn't just a potent bittering hop, but have excellent, strong, distinct aroma potential.

If you're putting a kit in there as well, you're definately gonna wanna keep the bittering addition very low. And if being put alongside other hops, especially Noble ones, you may want to make the GB addition a bit lower than the others, it can cut right through such delicate hop aromas.
Having said that, it makes for an awesome single hop beer! :D

Ok Muggus, looks like I'll be hanging on for the ride here! As I strained the wort through the hop flowers into the fermenter I got a really nice twang from the Saaz that had been in the boil for the last five minutes and on tasting the wort this morning (cooled overnight) it's nicely bitter so I've decided not to dry hop with the Tettnang, and see what the two existing hops turn out like.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Back