Gravity Readings From Tap?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobby Lobster

Reaction score
Hi,

I just did my first extract brew - Neill's Hallertau Bomb - and took the OG from the tap.

I came up with 1.044 but the recipe DB says 1.053.

I stuck to Neill's recipe to the letter (though I'll be using US-05 instead of Nottingham - no luck at my LHBS).

Anyway my query is, is it okay to take gravity readings from the tap where liquid may be thicker? I didn't want to risk anything going wrong by sticking a hydrometer in the barrel. Yeah, I realise that thickness will up the grav.

In tap water my hydrometer sits on 1.000 so I don't think it's dodgy.

- Thanks by the way Neill. The thread on your Centrillo was a good education in extract brewing. Prior to that I hadn't grasped wtf extract brewing actually meant. I would have done the Centrillo but couldn't get a hold of any Centennial.

Not sure if it's "okay", but I always take my reading from the tap and I haven't had any crazy readying yet. I usually take a measure of liquid out and pour it down the sink (or drink it), then test a second sample, just to make sure it's a clear reading.

What temp was the wort when you took your reading?

If it was warmer than say, 20 degrees, perhaps thats why the reading was different?

I make sure everything is sanitsed really well then add to fermenter put the lid on and shake the hell out of it as done a brew said it was 1.062 and it fermented down to 1.012 lol and def wasnt that strong alcohol So I think as you say pouring the water ontop didnt fully mix it properly and got a higher reading, As i was calculated about 1.049 or something

What temp was the wort when you took your reading?

If it was warmer than say, 20 degrees, perhaps thats why the reading was different?

Oh man. Yeah, temp was 24 degrees. That should have ocurred to me.

Thanks guys.

I wouldn't worry. If you followed the recipe to the T then you'll be alright. I've had different readings on a few occasions and things have turned out fine when I've left it. It's when I've added extra water or malt where things get messed up :(. It's probably just a result of things not being completely mixed together as said.

Remember to give a little feedback and rate the recipe after you've tried a few :chug:

I wouldn't worry. If you followed the recipe to the T then you'll be alright. I've had different readings on a few occasions and things have turned out fine when I've left it. It's when I've added extra water or malt where things get messed up :(. It's probably just a result of things not being completely mixed together as said.

Remember to give a little feedback and rate the recipe after you've tried a few :chug:

Thanks again guys.

I can't wait til they are ready to chug.

Latest posts

Back