Gravity filtering from fermenter. A neat trick.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before u used gas was the lid sealed? If so thats ur problem. You create unequal air pressure at top and a semi vaccume like
using gas is basicly overriding gravity and making it a pressure filter.

No, I had taken the airlock out of the fermenter initially. I only put it back in to give something for the co2 tube to seal against, once the flow had stopped

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384500240.134271.jpg

It took a couple hours to filter last night, but after force carbing a couple hours ago, the first beer tastes pretty good :)

Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it be easier to just transfer keg to keg. You would use less co2 as the fermenter would consume more gas because of its volume that is being displaced. Also there is no problem with pressuring a keg, a plastic container on the other hand is a bit iffy.

co2 is as cheap as air...
I use to gravity filter (at times still do) but generally secondary in a keg (I have 8), cold condition, fine (or not), filter keg to keg in a closed loop/gravity set up as outlined on here years ago by Ross (I think) - that saves co2

Back