Gravity filtering from fermenter. A neat trick.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeBaseBuzz

Reaction score
I was having problems filtering directly from the fermenter with the flow getting stuck with only half the brew filtered. Bubbles, bits of hop, everything just wanted to stop it flowing.

I now see the advantages of filtering keg to keg. Bit of co2 to push it through and it works a dream.. Doesn't work if you have only one keg left though.

If only there was a way to push it from the fermenter??

Hey!!!!

Tried this, and it works extremely well.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384410743.119208.jpg

Just put the tube straight in the neck of a Senior airlock and it sealed nicely.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384410899.074389.jpg

I only used a tiny bit of pressure to kick off the flow again each time it slowed down.

I have no problems with filtering set up pretty much the way you have it there, minus the CO2. My fermenter may be a little higher and the filter sitting a little lower but not much difference I would have thought.

Takes about 15-20 minutes to filter.

A good rule is to have the filter below the FV tap and the keg below the filter level. It, like your setup, always worked for me.

EDIT: I never used co2 just gravity.

Yeah, I don't understand why it keeps getting stuck. Its a 1micron absolute filter, and I think there is lots of dissolved CO2 in there, the lines end up with a lot of bubbles which don't like to flow downhill.

I'm not using a hop bag, but there doesnt seem to be much hop residue, maybe 5% compared to yeast in the filter when i clean it.

But it takes maybe 2 hrs to filter through, and thats with pushing it with the co2.

Hmm, I use a 0.45 micron filter.

I do use a hop bag in the boil though, and generally cold-condition for 3-4 days after ferment reaches FG to settle everything out.

I don't generally get too many bubbles in the lines either.

You could try increasing the height between your fermenter tap and the filter. The more height in the system will provide more force.

I put the fermenter on a stool at the top of a short flight of stairs, the filter sits 2 or 3 stairs down, and the keg 3 or down from that. Goes down in 15 - 20mins as above.

Before I discovered that I mounted a bulkhead connector into the lid of the fermenter and used to use c02 to push it out.

If the line is full of bubbles you have air in the system and need to bleed the filter more carefully. I would block off the exit hose just by kinking the hose and hold the bleeder down until beer only comes out of the bleeder then open up the exit hose to fill the keg.

By having bubbles in the filter/lines you are oxidising the beer as you filter it.

Use lots of lube on the top and bottom filter seals and the thread prong helps filtering as well.

I'm pretty sure the bubbles are co2. The system is well sealed, and I fully bled the filter before attaching it to the keg.

It's only been 10 days since I kicked off the ferment and there was still plenty of suspended yeast in the brew (and co2)

I had to keg it today, (probably too early) as I'm away with work for 3 weeks.

After cleaning it all, I think its because the filter was getting fully clogged, I will use some polyclar to try to drop out the yeast a couple days before filtering next time.

What's the best way to clean the yeast out of the filter after?

Hot water in the housing and a teaspoon of sodium percarbonate or unscented napisan type oxy cleaner. Leave it overnight then back flush with hot water. If there is still visible dirt, repeat it.

As above however leave the filter in a solution of napi San or starsan. This eliminates the issue with mould growing in a damp or not completely dried out filter

I like the CO2 idea, you should use it to pre-purge your filter housing as well to reduce oxidation.

Guys, those filters have a very small porosity grade for a single stage filtration setup.

I tried the OP's method of forcing CO2 into the fermenter a few times last year and blew the lid off my fermenter with an almighty bang.

If you want it to filter quicker, cold crash for a couple of days before filtering to drop most of the yeast and hops to below tap level. If you don't, it will quickly clog up the filter and it will get stuck like you were complaining about.

Ive got to say -I dont filter, so that makes all my beers unfiltered :)

I havent had any issues with clarity of the beer. Cold Crashing at 4c for a few days and obviosuly using the whirfloc or brew bright during the boil.

Can someone give me a few dot points on why you filter the beer?

I havent had any issues with clarity of the beer. Cold Crashing at 4c for a few days and obviosuly using the whirfloc or brew bright during the boil.

I don't filter all beers, but occasionally i do so i can move kegs around without stirring up the residual yeast, or, to have clear beer like this 7 days after mashing in:
{style_image_url}/attachicon.gif ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1384394807.130411.jpg

Same 2 reasons as Liam. I don't have any awesome photos of my fancy beers though. :-(

Plus (stupidly enough) I am slightly allergic to yeast so like to try and minimise yeast in non-yeast based beers. He he

Gravity filtering is well covered on ahb if you want to have a looknand see if anyome else has similar issues.

one think that strikes me is that u say the system is well sealed. You are unsealing the top fermenter when trying to filter arent u? Otherwise u create a vacumme in the top fermenter and wont be able to drain the beer. And possible draw air from the bottom tube which would account for the air bubbles.

edit. I should qualify that I dont filter so I cant be much more help.

Pratty1 said:

That is part of the whole idea of filtering and/or fining, you save time (also increases the shelf life).
Like Liam, I also filter when having to transport kegs that won't have time at the destination to settle. Last weekend 8 kegs were transported to a venue 2 hours away and clear beer was being served within 30 mins of arrival

Gravity filtering is well covered on ahb if you want to have a looknand see if anyome else has similar issues.

one think that strikes me is that u say the system is well sealed. You are unsealing the top fermenter when trying to filter arent u? Otherwise u create a vacumme in the top fermenter and wont be able to drain the beer. And possible draw air from the bottom tube which would account for the air bubbles.

edit. I should qualify that I dont filter so I cant be much more help.

Yes, I did search first :). I don't think the search function in the new AHB iPad app quite cuts the mustard tho.

No, the top fermenter is still sealed, the only gas going in is from the co2 bottle as per the photos in the op.
I am pretty sure it was just getting clogged from the sheer amount of suspended yeast. This was straight from the primary, I didn't rack to a secondary.

I will try to cold crash or wirlfloc as per pratty1's suggestion next time.

As to why I have started filtering along with just recently kegging, is that, I can put a brew onto ferment a week ago, filter and chill it last night, force carb and be drinking it today. Going from a month between wort and glass, to a week is quite attractive to me. Sure, its not going to be as good as a well aged beer, but my taste buds aren't good enough to really tell the difference yet :)

Before u used gas was the lid sealed? If so thats ur problem. You create unequal air pressure at top and a semi vaccume like
using gas is basicly overriding gravity and making it a pressure filter.

Back