Grassy Smell Early

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh971

Reaction score
Just starting out and on my third kit now. I have spent a lot of time reading various forums and articles and have been pleased with results so far, However;

After reading Heyyu's post (7th May) and all the answers and suggestions that followed I decided to use the Coopers Mexican Cerveza I had and add some hops. Hallertau finishing hops from local home brew shop. Along with the hops I've used S23 yeast and a Kg of Dextrose. I managed to break the hops tea bag when stirring prior to adding.

All has been fermenting fine between 12 and 16 degrees in the shed, and is still bubbling a week later, but when I take a SG reading and then taste from SG tube afterwards it is tasting ok but smells very grassy like I added lawn clippings and not hops. Can anyone help with whether this is likely to disappear with further fermenation and conditioning or have I made an unsalvageable error?

All previous kits I tasted at every SG reading and was happy with progression.

You probably got a chunk of the hops that settled in your tap. It will be fine.... just be careful when you're bottling the end of the batch not to get any hop crud in a bottle.

Edit: That's a nice long wait you've had there... Joined: 13-July-07 and this is your first post!

You probably got a chunk of the hops that settled in your tap. It will be fine.... just be careful when you're bottling the end of the batch not to get any hop crud in a bottle.

Edit: That's a nice long wait you've had there... Joined: 13-July-07 and this is your first post!
Cheers, Thanks, was hoping I wouldn't have a lost cause on my hands. Time Flies, the long wait was just time spent reading articles and drinking up a bottle collection, found most answers to my questions were on here somewhere anyway. Hopefully one day I'll have something useful to add.

I find hop bitterness, malt sweetness and hop flavour all integrate with a bit of time. Taste a wort 2 days in, 6 days in and 14 days in then compare it to after secondary, after crash chilling, after carbonation and after however long you can wait.

All quite distinctly different. I'd say it will lessen/change character with time.

I find hop bitterness, malt sweetness and hop flavour all integrate with a bit of time. Taste a wort 2 days in, 6 days in and 14 days in then compare it to after secondary, after crash chilling, after carbonation and after however long you can wait.

All quite distinctly different. I'd say it will lessen/change character with time.

Cheers, with a busted hop bag in the fermenter should I filter through a sieve when racking for bulk priming or when bottling, or not at all. Think I remember that too much mucking around prior to bottling can cause oxidisation?.

She'll be right, but get used to different flavors, hops do give a herb sort of back flavor.... once you try a few brews like that you will come to like it...

She'll be right, but get used to different flavors, hops do give a herb sort of back flavor.... once you try a few brews like that you will come to like it...

Cool, I'll work out how to use these forums sometime soon too. I just realised i edited the last post before I checked new comments.

I sometimes get the occasional hop bit in a bottle. It's rare but it's pretty inoffensive. If you're concerned or if you're entering a competition you can rack to secondary which will leave most of it behind.

It's not really a drama though and I personally wouldn't bother filtering unless it's a must.

Latest posts

Back