Grapes In Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tangent

Reaction score
Apparently it's been done before overseas but the first time in Oz.

stay tuned.....

excellent! any links or info?
i need some background.
there's a mob trying to tell me that they're the first ones.
i'll wait until i have a few tastes before i say it though :)

Hopefully will try Ferals this sunday. Was going to be called Unification ( on ratebeer ) but I beleive they have gone with the name Hogwash.

I once put a grape in a beer, when I tried to drink it it came down and got stuck in the neck of the bottle..... i'll put that one down to experience :) :) :)

I'm nearly certain Cantillon occasionally make a lambic utilising pinot noir but would be very difficult to find.....

I once put a grape in a beer, when I tried to drink it it came down and got stuck in the neck of the bottle..... i'll put that one down to experience :) :) :)

You Dick! Gonna be at the swap tomorrow?

I have had the Cantillon Saint Lamvinus before, courtesy of the International Beer Shop, which was lambic blended with merlot and cabernet franc grapes. In true Cantillon fashion it was incredibly acidic, and a pleasure to drink.

I am very much looking forward to trying the Hogwash, though I haven't heard much at all about it. I've heard the base is a brown ale, though I would be even more excited if it was a sour brown. If any of you know anything, please share!

Just found the article Vic Crossland wrote about it a while back (March 29):

Grape beer goes Feral

A plum-coloured beer topped with pink-tinged foam and smelling like a wine vat: thats the latest wow factor on the local brewery scene. Swan Valleys Feral brewery pushes the envelope with Unification, a wine beer blended from two ales and fermented grapes.
The name comes from Ferals location, surrounded by vineyards at Baskerville. Brewer Brendan Varis had Melbeck grapes from the property crushed at a nearby winery. He first did two fermentations, 50-50 wine and beer. It was altogether too winy, so I blended it again with a malty brown ale. This balanced the beer out to 30 per cent wine and brought the alcohol content down to about 8 per cent, he said.
The result is a full-bodied fruity brew reminiscent of some long-matured vintage ales - a must for beer buffs to try.

I thought about putting grapes in a beer a while ago, and figured it'd be a wee bit crazy so decided against it. Sounds like it would work well in a wheat beer of sorts though.
Would there be problems if the grapes were treated with sulfur dioxide, like alot of them are these days?

id like to see some Pinot Noir in a light beer like a Pils or some sort of lager, imagine the colour..

can anyone tell me if the Feral beer is commercially available yet and confirm the name for me? (their website is a bit on the crap side of things)

It's definately called Hogwash now. I presume it would only be available at the brewery (as with most of their beers, they're only bottling the wit atm, sorry tangent), though I think it's the original 50-50 blend Brendan mentioned in the Fresh article above, the stuff I tried was 11.9%, and very winey. It was great though, very belgian, and very easy to drink for 11.9%. I'm glad I got to try it, though I probs would have preferred the maltier blend. Has been described as a "spritzy rose".

I've always been tempted to do it, now more than ever since studying viticulture.
Personally i'd try and source some decent red grapes, have them crushed, leave them to soak on the skins for a bit to get some nice colour and chuck them in whilst the ferment is still going...possibly rack it off onto the juice?
There's alot of combinations possible, though I could imagine something like a Cab Sav Stout would be very interesting indeed.

Back