Grand Final Brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horner34

Reaction score
Me and me mates have a massive grand final bash every year. The req is that everyone must bring a slab of non vb or carlton. So they turn up with stella, heini and boags :( , a couple blokes turn up with something nice like lowenbrau and budvar and there was a slab of LC.

But this year the host has organized barrels of draught.

So I want to brew a corny to take with me to show these blokes the wonders of non megaswill.

So my question is has anyone got a good pseudo German pils or larger recipe.

Mainly I'm interested in yeasts and fermantation routine as this will be my first pseudo lager

And what time frames i'm looking at.

Hopefully i'll be knocking a few oft hese frofies down with a blue bagger win but I don't think that will happen. St Kilda knocking the pies off by one point again would be just as good.

Looking forward to your input.

Horner

your pushing with time but just managable. you'll want a lighter colour/flavour beer so you can cut down lagering time.

Have you checked the recipe DB? i sure there's a few good soudning german/boh pils in there.

Kolsch, its within your timeframe, its a drink all day style and a great beer. Go Cats!

Yea i aggree with haysie. With only a month to go a Kolcsh would be ideal.

I think you should go, as others have stated, a kolsch (but I would open that up just a bit more and say pseudo lager).

You could use a number of ale yeasts that will give you similar characteristics as lager yeasts - any kolsch yeast (2565), german ale (1007) or even nottingham will give you a pseudo lager effect.

As far as grain bill and hops, I'm sure others on here can give you a better idea, but my thoughts would be mostly pils malt and 5% cara-pils so you get a nice head - as far as hops go, noble hops...but check some lager recipies in the DB for something proven - boston's chech pilzner springs to mind - here

let us know how it all turns out

Cheers
Phil

just remember kolsch wyeast takes agggggeeees to drop out of suspension so either CC it for a while or make sure you gelatine it and dont shake up the yeast in the bottom of the keg on the day. personally i'd gelatine it and once its dropped clear rack it to another keg to take for the day. good luck, go bombers!

Wayne had a pseudo lager on tap at the July case swap.

Nottingham at low temps.

Kolsch would work well but to be ready by the holiest day of the year you may have to resort to filtering, a true kolsch yeast takes a week of sundays to drop bright even with finings.

Collingwood to be beaten by a kick after the siren. :icon_cheers:

Is there anything more satisfying than watching collingwood players crying after the final siren on GF day?

Wayne had a pseudo lager on tap at the July case swap.

Nottingham at low temps.

This is the beer I was thinking of while reading the thread, it would be perfect. I believe it was pilsner malt with around 15% vienna and stricklebract was the hop.

Im with Fents. Kolsch takes too long to clear. I was also thinking there was 2 months not 1 left before GF. for a true a lager or pils your in trouble. i suppose you could pitch a massive starter to make sure it takes off full strength. maybe settle for a really clean ale? you could go a SMASH with Nelson or Galaxy, or a LCBA type ale.

Is there anything more satisfying than watching collingwood players crying after the final siren on GF day?
them not even making it.

Go Hawks! (idiots for challanging buddy's 1 match ban)

I'm with Smurto and Jayse, PM domonsura for the recipe.
Made for a very unobtrusive beer that I'm sure would go down well as the Crows give St Kilda a run for their money! :rolleyes:
Will be on the Gold Coast that weekend, Sunday at Mt Tambourine we hope!

Nige

Id rather they not make it that far personally...

I would suggest a dark beer, maybe even a navy blue beer??? (Go Carlton!!!! ;) )

If the brew goes pear shaped, wizz in a bottle and tell your mates its VB.... :ph34r:

Do a simple Cream Ale using US56

Easy and a nice beer to sit back and watch the Catters :icon_cheers:

Rook

That was an awesome beer that Wayne made. i have to give it a go sometime.

Rook

Have a keg of "St Kilda Kolsch" sitting in fridge waiting for the last weekend of September .. I don't care who we beat. As long as we win.

If you want something quick and drinkable use US 05 or Nottingham (with a good starter) that will ferment quick and then sit in a fridge cold for a week or two. Simple grain bill, medium bitterness. Lots of good recipes about.

Shhhhh Doc - you'll get Hairofthedog fired-up!!!

Pies V StK I reckon, could go either way on current form.

Beer... IMO a Kolsch is not to everyone's liking, and takes a while to drop out. I'd go a simple lager with S189 (1 week ferment, 2 weeks CC - ready to drink), German pils malt, a little Munich, Noble hops (or even a kiwi variety like Southern Cross).
Alternatively, an APA is always well received, and easily ready to drink in 4 weeks.

Rook
I'm with therook on this one...go the Cats!!! (we've been getting all our poor form out of the way early)

Simple ale using US05 at around 16C, pils malt with maybe 5% caramalt, 25-30 IBU's and bit of noble hop in the finish.

Cheers, Andrew.

Have to agree with the mob on the main topic being beer......a Kolcsh. On the side topic however i hope whatever beer you choose is drunk watching the pies claiming the flag!!

Hopefully i'll be knocking a few oft hese frofies down with a blue bagger win but I don't think that will happen. St Kilda knocking the pies off by one point again would be just as good.

If you were brewing a beer for the NSW-Centric NRL Grand Final, it would have to be coloured blue. It's virtually set in stone.

Rook

+1 for a cream ale!! Currently drinking one at the moment, 15% maize, golden promise and a little bit of munich, very lightly hopped with cascade and amarillo :icon_drool2: So drinkable and refreshing at 3.1% and it took 2.5 weeks from brew day to being bright in the keg with US-05.. Everyone enjoys it, even my SWMBO :ph34r:

Latest posts

Back