Grain %

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends on if you classify Munich or Vienna as a base or specialty.

If a specialty, I'd imagine many people would say 100%.

General rule of thumb for other specialties that I've been trained on and employ is 10%.

Probably close to 20/25% in a stout but it's a blend of different different roasted and kilned malts, not the one type.

Strange question since amounts will differ significantly depending on type of beer, etc.

manticle said:
Probably close to 20/25% in a stout but it's a blend of different different roasted and kilned malts, not the one type.

Strange question since amounts will differ significantly depending on type of beer, etc.
Yes strange question with no other info to reference it to.

Generally with Xtals, the darker the xtal tge less you use. Choc & roast barley are different again and depend on the recipie

As others have said, it varies greatly depending on style, malt type etc. If it tastes like you used too much, then you used too much. I think brewing and tasting is really the only way to find the limit.

Having said that, to answer the actual question...

The most specialty malt I've ever used was 12% if not counting Munich or Vienna, or 43% if counting Munich as a "character malt" and not using it as a base. I've done 100% Vienna in a SMaSH with Hallertauer Mittelfruh. Mmmm, tasty.

Yeah i don't count Vienna and Munich.
Im brewing a stout with a very high percentage of roasted barley and some caramalt. I know general rule is 10% but I've brewed many beers with over 20% and they've worked well.

Cecil Brai said:
Yeah i don't count Vienna and Munich.
Im brewing a stout with a very high percentage of roasted barley and some caramalt. I know general rule is 10% but I've brewed many beers with over 20% and they've worked well.
Roast Barley is a very unforgiving specialty if used in abundance.
I love the sharp roastiness it gives to Stout, but it's so easily overdone.

If you've done the recipe before and enjoyed it - awesome. If not, be wary.

I've done 15% crystal in amber ales. I really like crystal but that was about too much.

If you include flaked barley, I'll go as high as 40% total spec grains in a stout with 10% Roast Barley. Granted my Roast Barley is lighter than most (350L).

In my first kit with steeped grains I just winged it and and later worked out I had put in 35% dark crystal. It was...thick.

Mostly under 10%, last 2 stout/porters have been 19 and 23%.
A guiness clone I found for a mate was 24% and it was good.

Adjuncts....thats another matter.

Went back through beersmith and had a look at what percentages I have them at:
APA's 2%
AAA's 10% and 12.5% tasting notes were better on the 10%
ABA's 15% and was beautiful
Porter 15% (Amber 10%, Carafa II 5%) Yet to be tasted
Stout 10% (7% Choc, 3% RB)

For what it's worth my next planned beer is straight from 'Brewing Classic Styles' - Northern English Brown Ale

22% Specialty Grains are used so I guess it really does depend on the style and recipe.

If you include victory/biscuit and flaked barley as spec grains then I think I had a mild with 48% spec malts, I'd need to double check though.

Latest posts

Back