Grain Storage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reg

Reaction score
I need to source some storage drums for my grain from the upcoming BB.

I am hoping to get some 40 - 60 litre food grade drums with lids that seal but cant seem to get any locally at the moment.
Does anyone know where I can get some in Melbourne at the moment or within 2 weeks?

If I cant I guess i will just buy some buckets with lids.

Cheers in advance
:icon_cheers:
Reg

You could buy 60l fermenters that way you have a double function from one unit. Pete has them at Brewers den Boronia.... Bit far from WMelb though maybe try grape and grain

I need to source some storage drums for my grain from the upcoming BB.

I am hoping to get some 40 - 60 litre food grade drums with lids that seal but cant seem to get any locally at the moment.
Does anyone know where I can get some in Melbourne at the moment or within 2 weeks?

If I cant I guess i will just buy some buckets with lids.

Cheers in advance
:icon_cheers:
Reg

Two Bunnings 20L Handy Pale's with lids fit a 25kg bag nicely. Approved for food use and has the benefits of smaller sizes for your spec malts - then everything looks nice and pretty.....!

Just hunt through them for less dusty ones.
They are usually about $12 or so each, I was going to use 60L fermenters but then saw the price!

Two Bunnings 20L Handy Pale's with lids fit a 25kg bag nicely. Approved for food use and has the benefits of smaller sizes for your spec malts - then everything looks nice and pretty.....!

Just hunt through them for less dusty ones.
They are usually about $12 or so each, I was going to use 60L fermenters but then saw the price!

I use these too, not cheap at first, but they are airtight and stackable.
I was just using those 60L tubs until I found a weavil chowing down on my munich malt :angry:

I got a couple of big tubs with lids from Kmart. One can hold a 25kg bag plus smaller bags.
Keeps the mice out but the cats not happy. :rolleyes:

I use a couple of the 200ltr plastic drums that you can find on ebay under a "rainwater tank" word search. Obviously you try to check what was previously stored in them.

Black plastic willow garbage bins from Bunnings. Just pop the grain bag in them and tie at the top. Got a bunch of them for the last Bulk Buy and they've served me well. A bit cheaper than buying big canoe drums and the like. Know of a few people that use cubes for grain also.

Hopper.

I have been looking at storage options as well and was going to run a Bulk Buy in the 60L Canoe drums that People in Plastic have beacause it did bring them down to a reasonable price if you buy a pallet load. A few things were highlighted when I asked about interest, like heavy to lift, bulky to store etc, and also there are mobs selling 40L drums on ebay for about $50-ish for 5 of. These drums have had chlorine tablets inside plastic bags. I am still a bit duboius about it but a few guys on here use them with no ill effects. They need to ba aired for a few days and cleaned thoroughly etc. Hope that gives you a few more options.

Cheers

Sully

This is what you need

silo_3.JPG

Cheers Greg

Latest posts

Back