Grain Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norcs

Reaction score
Just wondering what type of grains can be steeped and for what effect ?

I know you can steep Carapils, I think this aids in head retention and adds flavours (could be wrong though). I think you can also steep rice and oats but have no idea of the effects.

Any help would be appreciated as I am still on kits n bits but would like a little more variation.

Just wondering what type of grains can be steeped and for what effect ?

I know you can steep Carapils, I think this aids in head retention and adds flavours (could be wrong though). I think you can also steep rice and oats but have no idea of the effects.

Any help would be appreciated as I am still on kits n bits but would like a little more variation.

Norcs,

Click on the Craftbrewer site at the top of the page and then click on Grains/Malts and go through them all, they will give you there uses etc and for what beer styles to use them in..

Cheers

Its a really open ended question to some degrees.

Just about all grains can be steeped, and type of grain will depend on if you are looking for flavour, body, etc...

Temperature of steeping will also effect breakdown of sugars, etc, etc...

Is this for a particular K&K beer you are planning?

If so let us know what you have and we (probably Butters! Sorry to dob you in here! ;) ) can maybe give some pointers.

Its a really open ended question to some degrees.

Just about all grains can be steeped, and type of grain will depend on if you are looking for flavour, body, etc...

Temperature of steeping will also effect breakdown of sugars, etc, etc...

Is this for a particular K&K beer you are planning?

If so let us know what you have and we (probably Butters! Sorry to dob you in here! ;) ) can maybe give some pointers.

Trying to find out before I decide what kit to use :)

You are correct that carapils will aid in head retention. Pretty much all of the specialty malts will, to some degree. The grains that can be steeped are ones where the conversion of starch to sugar has already been done in the manufacturing process by the maltsters, so all you are basically doing with a steep is to rinse off the sugars that have already been created for you. These sugars vary in there fermentability, and the more dextrinous ones, or the higher protein ones, will give the added body and retention properties. (although they all will aid in this, to some degree.)

The type of grain used very much depends on what you are wanting to brew, and the effect you want to get from the grain. They all have varying degrees of intensity of flavour, and colour variation. Often, a combination works well, for example, caraaroma works well with carafa. The chocolate/cofee like dryness of the carafa offsets and balances the deep caramel and toffee of the caraaroma. It's a bit like lemon juice and sugar on your pancakes. ;) Alternatively, you can have combinations that are quite similar in their flavours, but varying in their intensities and with subtle differences, which helps to layer the flavours and create complexity.

As has been said, the grain descriptions on craftbrewer are excellent...its exactly the same info that the producers give, but it saves having to go to each malt companies site individually to be able to compare one to the other....it also says whether the grain can be steeped, or must be mashed. ;)

Also, have a read of some beer descriptions, such as in BJCP guidelines. (but remember they are guides.) The flavour descriptions help with grain choice, because they use similar wording to what the grain manufacturers do as far as what characteristic a particular grain may give.

You are correct that carapils will aid in head retention. Pretty much all of the specialty malts will, to some degree. The grains that can be steeped are ones where the conversion of starch to sugar has already been done in the manufacturing process by the maltsters, so all you are basically doing with a steep is to rinse off the sugars that have already been created for you. These sugars vary in there fermentability, and the more dextrinous ones, or the higher protein ones, will give the added body and retention properties. (although they all will aid in this, to some degree.)

The type of grain used very much depends on what you are wanting to brew, and the effect you want to get from the grain. They all have varying degrees of intensity of flavour, and colour variation. Often, a combination works well, for example, caraaroma works well with carafa. The chocolate/cofee like dryness of the carafa offsets and balances the deep caramel and toffee of the caraaroma. It's a bit like lemon juice and sugar on your pancakes. ;) Alternatively, you can have combinations that are quite similar in their flavours, but varying in their intensities and with subtle differences, which helps to layer the flavours and create complexity.

As has been said, the grain descriptions on craftbrewer are excellent...its exactly the same info that the producers give, but it saves having to go to each malt companies site individually to be able to compare one to the other....it also says whether the grain can be steeped, or must be mashed. ;)

Also, have a read of some beer descriptions, such as in BJCP guidelines. (but remember they are guides.) The flavour descriptions help with grain choice, because they use similar wording to what the grain manufacturers do as far as what characteristic a particular grain may give.

Thanks for that butters, extremely helpful as always. Handy that they almost match word for word with th BJCP stuff as I quite often start there when deciding what to attempt to make.

Is there anywhere else where i could find descriptions (or something) for alternatives like the rice and the oats ?

Beer software such as Beersmith or Promash has a comprehensive description of ingredients. here is what beersmith has to say on oats and rice...

Name: Oats, Flaked
Type: Grain
Origin: US
Supplier:

Yield: 80.0 %
Potential: 1.037
Color: 2.0 EBC
Max in Batch: 30.0 %
Moisture: 9.0 %
Protein: 9.0 %
Coarse Fine Difference: 1.5 %
Diastatic Power: 0.0 %

Recommend Mash: TRUE
Inventory: 0.00 kg
Notes: Adds body, mouth feel and head retention to the beer
Used in oatmeal stouts and porters
Adds substantial protein haze to light beers
Protein rest recommended unless flakes are pregelatinized
------------------------------------------------------
Name: Rice, Flaked
Supplier:

Yield: 70.0 %
Potential: 1.032
Max in Batch: 25.0 %
Protein: 10.0 %

Notes: Used to add fermentables without increasing body or flavor.
Produces a milder, less grainy tasting beer.
Examples: American lagers, Bohemian lagers, Pilsners

--------------------------------------------------------------------

both require a mash, and must be mashed with a base grain for conversion to occur.

Beer software such as Beersmith or Promash has a comprehensive description of ingredients. here is what beersmith has to say on oats and rice...

Name: Oats, Flaked
Supplier:

Yield: 80.0 %
Potential: 1.037
Max in Batch: 30.0 %
Protein: 9.0 %

Notes: Adds body, mouth feel and head retention to the beer
Used in oatmeal stouts and porters
Adds substantial protein haze to light beers
Protein rest recommended unless flakes are pregelatinized
------------------------------------------------------
Name: Rice, Flaked
Supplier:

Yield: 70.0 %
Potential: 1.032
Max in Batch: 25.0 %
Protein: 10.0 %

Notes: Used to add fermentables without increasing body or flavor.
Produces a milder, less grainy tasting beer.
Examples: American lagers, Bohemian lagers, Pilsners

--------------------------------------------------------------------

both require a mash, and must be mashed with a base grain for conversion to occur.

Cheers for that, much appreciated.

Do you mind if I ask where you got that information from ?

Scratch that just re-read your post

Back