Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just email him tonight he is so easy to deal with and he will tell you how far down the line you are

sluggerdog said:
I have been tossing up between the CGM-2A and the CGM-2S. My question is do I need to get the adjustable mill or will the normal one be fine?
[post="59454"][/post]​
Slugger,
I have the 2s and have never adjusted it and more than happy with the results. If you are anal about adjusting the mill to suit different grains, as some are, then adjusting the 2s everytime would be a PITA.

So if I had my time over again I would have gone the 2a. With the 2a the rollers are also an inch longer cf with 2s( 5" vs 4" ). As we all know every inch counts :blink: With rollers size does matter.

It gets down to what you can afford. If you can strecth to a 2a I would say go for it, as it gives you ultimate flexibility with adjusting(and don't forget the extra inch!). But the 2s is a b**dy good mill for the price and will last me for a lifetime of brewing. But then again if you want to keep up with the Dickos/Andrews of the AHB world then upgrade to the 3 roller job B)

Cheers
Roach

Thanks Roach, I'll get the 2s then, I won't be changing the size. Easy AS!

I have been a bit slack with making my hopper for the 2A mill I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some recomendations for making the hopper, Waht works and is easy.
Thanks
Bigfella

Bigfella said:
I have been a bit slack with making my hopper for the 2A mill I was wondering if any of you guys can give me some recomendations for making the hopper, Waht works and is easy.
Thanks
Bigfella
[post="59479"][/post]​
Bigfella,
See the attached pic. Just a bit of scrap melamine I had lying around, and and old water bottle with the base cut out and inverted. 10 minutes work.

Cheers
Roach

post_6_1097128068.jpeg

Looks nice and easy all I need know is to get hold of an old bottle.

Bigfella said:
Looks nice and easy all I need know is to get hold of an old bottle.
[post="59502"][/post]​
you do seem em at garage sales. but as a desk jockey I see plenty lying around near the office water cooler :chug:

Bigfella, I mounted a galvanised plant pot (from a Crazy Prices style of store), drilled a gap and pushed the bottom down towards the mill. It works well.

It's now mounted on a crate and is a joy to use :). Should get the idea from this dodgy picture.

Sluggerdog, I have an adjustable 2D, and have not adjusted it much untill lately, it's a nice to have.

P1010001.jpg

Had a good look at a Valley Mill the other day & was surprised to find that the entry slot from the hopper to the rollers was only about 50mm long. I was expecting to find that the slot went all the way across the rollers as I have seen on other mills. Surely a slot all the way across the rollers would cut down on cranking time? :blink: The Valley Mill gives a good crush though. Any comments?

Well I just got my cranknstein mill today I took nearly 9 weeks to get here via surface mail .
I would like to share part of a email I got from Fred which shows you what type of person this guy is .After 7 weeks wait I sent him a email just to give him a heads up on the situation (US post quoted 6 weeks )

I wouldn't really worry yet. Really, don't worry at all...No matter what the post office does, I'll make sure you get a mill. There could be a delay, but we'll make sure you get your mill. I think that we need to give the USPS at least another week, and possibly two, and then I'll check on the status with them. Essentially, they just get it to Australia, and then they turn it over to your local post office. We have insurance, so if It doesn't arrive, I'll take it up with them, and send another mill. I know its a pain to wait, but we must give them some time, and see what happens. Please let me know if you see it or not before 6/10. If you don't see it before then, I'll send another mill via airmail.

Thanks,

~~fred francis
CrankandStein.com

Now not only was he willing to send another mill out but he was going to send it out to me via Airmail not surface this to me was a amazing gesture so I cant recommend enough dealing with fred he is running truely professional operation and the mill looks great so please if your looking for a mill please for your own peace of mind buy a crankandstein

sintax69 said:
Well I just got my cranknstein mill today I took nearly 9 weeks to get here via surface mail .
I would like to share part of a email I got from Fred which shows you what type of person this guy is .After 7 weeks wait I sent him a email just to give him a heads up on the situation (US post quoted 6 weeks )

I wouldn't really worry yet. Really, don't worry at all...No matter what the post office does, I'll make sure you get a mill. There could be a delay, but we'll make sure you get your mill. I think that we need to give the USPS at least another week, and possibly two, and then I'll check on the status with them. Essentially, they just get it to Australia, and then they turn it over to your local post office. We have insurance, so if It doesn't arrive, I'll take it up with them, and send another mill. I know its a pain to wait, but we must give them some time, and see what happens. Please let me know if you see it or not before 6/10. If you don't see it before then, I'll send another mill via airmail.

Thanks,

~~fred francis
CrankandStein.com

Now not only was he willing to send another mill out but he was going to send it out to me via Airmail not surface this to me was a amazing gesture so I cant recommend enough dealing with fred he is running truely professional operation and the mill looks great so please if your looking for a mill please for your own peace of mind buy a crankandstein
[post="62184"][/post]​
This has helped make my mind up (If it was not already) I am going to buy a Crankandstein mill.
Just one question, how much was the postage via surface and how much more would airmail of been? 7 Weeks seems too long to wait. :blink:

yep I emailed frank a few weeks ago, VERY impressed with the service. Made my mind VERY clear straight away what to do and what to buy (crankandstien - CGM-2A - $99)

He even offered some suggestions on how to save money (i.e. he sends instructions how to build hopper and use surface mail etc)

Now I just gotta get the dough!

For me he quoted $26 surface and $46 air 3-5 day delivery

Surface from the US takes a long time. You pay your money, and start watching the letterbox. Then start getting edgy and anxious.

The suppliers are told it takes 4-6 weeks which is what they quote to us. Following the cheap kegs thread, anything up to 12 weeks is normal.

Australia Post will not take any action before three months has elapsed from when the parcel is shipped.

I have a Barley crusher mill here that I am very happy with. It took 9 weeks via surface to arrive. If I had plenty of money floating around, I would buy the tripple roller optioned crankandstein.

Yep, I would go the triple roller too. Certainly would save on milling the grain twice to crack all the grain.
I have had a Valleymill for 6 years and I love it. If I were to buy again I would go for the triple rollers

pint of lager said:
Surface from the US takes a long time. You pay your money, and start watching the letterbox. Then start getting edgy and anxious.

The suppliers are told it takes 4-6 weeks which is what they quote to us. Following the cheap kegs thread, anything up to 12 weeks is normal.

Australia Post will not take any action before three months has elapsed from when the parcel is shipped.

[post="62196"][/post]​
with surface mail it is really luck of the draw. my crankandstein 2s arrived in 2 weeks via surface

I went the air mail option, 5 days for delivery. You only live once. I have a two roller and have not needed to run the grain through more than once, with the grain perfectly crushed IMHO and averaging 80% efficiency.

Latest posts

Back