Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a marga when they were still cheap, but ... if I was buying now, I reckon the Crankandstein would by my choice. I'm not that handy with / don't have access to many tools - as you can probably see from my mill :)

I'm still fine tuning my marga crush - so it would have been nice to buy one where you just put it together and throw some grain at it.

GrainMill.JPG

How much grunt does that motor have??!!
Do you get a brownout on all three phases when you crank it up?

Very tidy job indeed. Not going to wear out in a hurry.

Borret

Well I have bitten the bullet and have ordered a CrankandStein CGM-2A with a 1/2" drive. (Well I have almost ordered it I'm just waiting for frank to get back to me again.) Dose any one know if you can still order via the paypal link or do you have to order it from Frank via email. Paypal does not work out the freight .

:party:

Frank emailed the freight, then I did the paypal transaction, when I purchased mine.

Why do people get the 1/2" drive?
I would have thought the standard 3/8" drive is easier to fit into a drill chuck (and US20 cheaper), and the extra torque of the 1/2" would be minimal...
Please explain.

Easier to fit a pulley to for motorising would be my guess. Mine has 12mm shaft necked down to 3/8 over the last 20mm for that reason.

I figure the added weight and size of a pulley when motorizing it. it can't do any harm to have a heavier shaft. What is $20 us when the other option is having to get it repaired if it bends. I have no idea what that would cost.

Hmmm, that's fair.
Another thing... a lot of people seem to run their drills slowly, when I think the faster the better. More speed = more inertia + more cooling. Perhaps somebody will argue that a super-fast roller speed will affect the crush, but I don't think so.

In my experience with the humble but very effective Marga :p the faster the drill speed the less consistent the crush, and the slower the overall flow through. A slower drill speed on the right gap setting = a very quick and very consistent crush.

Like I said, just my experience...

Shawn.

You are all pussies. A real mill doesn't need a motor.

PS pete's bargain centre had some interesting stuff - thanks for the tipoff bigfella.

sosman said:

PS pete's bargain centre had some interesting stuff - thanks for the tipoff bigfella.
[post="55352"][/post]​

That's right, I forgot yours was pedal-powered... :p

Bigfella,

The Paypal shopping cart on the Crand and Stein site doesn't work for international customers as it doesn't factor in the shipping. When Fred sent through the quote for shipping:

Postage for the 2D with handle will run $50 via USPS Global Priority mail
with insurance. Delivery averages 3-5 days after shipment. We can ship as
early as next week Thursday. Please let me know if you have any additional
questions.

I added it to the price of my order and paid through Paypal using Fred's email address as the account to pay. The initual order was sent to Fred via email, rather than using the shopping cart.

Cheers,

Jason

P.S my mill is hand cranked, why use a wheelchair when you can still walk :p

nonicman said:
Bigfella,

Fred will send the mill via surface($27 for the 2s) on request if you want to save a few bucks. It took 2 weeks to arrive. Its luck of the draw with surface mail tho- anywhere betweeb 2 weeks or 2 months.

Roach

sosman said:

Another vote for the Marga! :D
I always hand crank :ph34r: the grains - I feel like I get better speed control when the flow of grains slows down or speeds up as they fall in between the top two rollers...I must admit though, that I need a bigger hopper - the one supplied with the mill is crap!
I've had a Marga for a couple of years and my mash efficiency is always above 80% and I batch sparge! B) I left the settings exactly as they were when Grumpy's delivered it.

Cheers,
TL

Is anybody else in Brisbane interested in getting anything from Crankandstein????

I am seriously looking at a mill, and there may be a chance to save on the postage if there is anybody else keen.

dreamboat

Dreamboat,

I have sent an email to crankenstein today regarding ordering a CGM-2S...
PM me if you are keen.......

Cheers

I'm keen but I live in Melbourne so I guess its not worth it. Maybe we could get a bulk order though...

Latest posts

Back