Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
voota said:
I'm keen but I live in Melbourne so I guess its not worth it. Maybe we could get a bulk order though...
[post="55468"][/post]​
Careful about bunging too many on one order. Some guys at our club put in a bulk order and customs have deemed it "commercial quantity" which requires a customs agent, etc, etc.

That good that is they way I have ordered it. I'm just waiting for conformation now.
Frank did tell me he would be out of town for a few days..

I'm a bit keen now

Dicko,
As a fellow crankandstein 3D owner I can't help but keep returning to page 1 of this thread to perve on your mill....
That is a blody work of art!

Paint it green, to match the colour of envy.
Cheers

Something else just crossed my mind. It may be hijacking this thread, but has or does anyone here spray their grains with hot water before crushing to soften them up and yeild a more intact husk?

Cheers.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the compliment, I am very proud of my 3D mill.

In answer to your second comment re wetting the grains, there is a fellow on the Grumpys forum that wets his grains prior to cracking.
I thought he was joking at first but I tried it and it did seem to cause the husk to stay in tack.
I tried it when I was using my Marga mill and that mill did have a tendency to tear husks if you turned it too fast ie; with a drill.
The Marga has got S/Steel rollers so there is no concern with rust but I would be careful using that method on any mill that has mild steel rollers.
I feel that you would need to run some dry grain through the mill after the wet stuff to dry the rollers.
Personally I recon that it was just another unnessesary process with the equipment that I have.
The Crankandstein 3D is very gentle on the grains and its use negates the need to do anything but just do the crush.

Cheers

No worries Dicko. It's just something I too had read elsewhere and wondered what folks here thought. Let's face it - almost anything that could be done to a homebrew has been done by someone here.

AHB the ultimate HB encyclopaedia.

Cheers

Tidalpete said:
roach said:
Fred will send the mill via surface($27 for the 2s) on request if you want to save a few bucks.
Roach
Is that US or Australian dollars Roach? :)
[post="58124"][/post]​
It was USD. So the 2s cost me $96US all up to my door. Just email Fred and he will respond pretty quickly with all the info and costings.

[/quote]
It was USD. So the 2s cost me $96US all up to my door. Just email Fred and he will respond pretty quickly with all the info and costings.
[post="58147"][/post]​
[/quote]

Thanks Roach. :D :D

I'm very excited my Crankandstein has just arrived at my house, The good wife has just rung me to let me know. I'm busting to finish work and get home.
I have 3 bags of grain sitting waiting to be crushed. Now the fun part, to make a hopper.

Excited !!!!!!!!

Toying with the idea of getting one myself Bigfella.

If you don't mind me asking. What was the complete cost shipped?

Enjoy your new toy B)

Warren -

Here was the cost USD.

Qty: Desc. Price Ext.
1 CGM-2A $99.00 $99.00
1 CGM-1/2DRV $20.00 $20.00

Subtotal: $119.00
Shipping: $51

TOTAL: $170.00

Thanks Bigfella :)

So about $220 Oz on today's scale. Not bad for a pretty solid looking mill.

Warren -

And as every one on AHB has said Top company to deal with.

Sounds like what I'll be going with later in the year. :super:

Still I think it's a bit of a pity that nobody local is manufacturing something similar. (Hint, hint) :(

Even if it was to save the price of overseas postage.

Warren -

That was me who wets the grains.

I add about 80 to 100 mls of water (a small baby food jar full) to the grain in a pot and stir it in till its evenly damp. i put the lid on the pot and let it atand for 15 min.

I then run it through my motorised mill and it will crack 5 to 6 kg in under a minute and the husks are completly whole. It looks like you havnt even cracked it till you run your hands through it.

I get 75 to 80% efficiency and the beer is smoother than when the husks get busted up.

It also sparges quicker.

I used a margs mill for a while and it did a good job but the 3rd roller runs at a faster speed than the top 2 and tends to tear the husks.

I built my mill with 2"dia 316 stainless rollers 8" long and it instantly improved the beer i produced.

I an building some of these mils at the moment to sell to anyone who wants a big roller mill.

I have gone into a lot of detail on the "borretts mill" post but will explain again.

I can build it to suit the individual.

I can make it to take a handle for hand cranking (hard work with a big mill) or to accept a 3/8 of 1/2 drillo chuck on order.

they are fully adjustable. I use a basic system that has a floating free whealing roller that uses the grain to push it up against a fixad adustment bar to set the gap. Its easy to set (no pressing out bushes, just turn a screw) and cant come loose and "slip" out of adjustment whike cracking.

The timber gives you a great base to add hoppers and bases with ease. It helps if there is a bit of meat to screw into.

Here is a pic of the base mill i can make. I Will make tham like this for $250 or $200 for a set of rollers with bearings and you can do the rest.

If your interested please contact me. I can't guarantee overnight delivery but they will get made.

I have recenty added a 0.37kw single phase motor to the mill and like i said, it cracks 5 t o6 kg of grain in under a minute.
I got the motor second hand for nothing and the pullys cost me $50 from a bearing distributor.

Easy!!!

cheers.

Good on Ya Tony,
Its good to see someone start to produce an Aussie mill.
Best of luck.

BigFella How long did the package take to arrive ??
mines been 4 weeks waiting waiting
sintax

It took about three weeks.
Give fred an email he will be more than helpful

Bigfella

I think I will email him the end of the week he did say 2 to 6 weeks I just want it now

sintax

Latest posts

Back