Grain Mills

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0546.jpg

attached an image of the new bits..

Organo

Steve..

I reckon I'm probably not going to bother with my white springy thing anyway.. have just done a crush with the adjustment wheel fastened to the body of the mill with sticky tape...

and it worked just fine... !! (the crush was a little bit fine, I reckon, so I think I'll remove the sticky tape, and adjust it a tiny bit)

it's been a bit of rooting around, but should be worth it, I reckon, pretty soon...

Cheers, Organo

Woo hoo ... primed with a 12 month aged Pale Ale followed by a similarly aged IPA I decided to attack the <1 week old marga tonight.

Started with the hopper first - too easy.

Bit of hassle popping the cover off the adjustment knob but got it after a few different screwdriver attempts and most of the PA.

Slipped the ply (mdf really) under the adjustment knob in place and after a fair bit of amateurish drilling/routing and most of the IPA got a new adjustment hole with the #2 on the dial at (close to) 0600. The hole's a bit more oval than round but does the job.

Oh, and the white "springy" thing? Well, part of it's in the bin, the rest popped out and I just put it back in and it seems to be doing it's job.

Ran a handfull of pils malt through and the crush looks great, husks almost complete and the kernel cracked into about 4 pieces.

Haven't got a full hopper yet so I'll be cracking tomorrow's grain bill at a mate's place on his brand new barley-crusher but I have tonight's sample crush to compare to that. I Will let the list know how it compares.

Thanks to all for the tips I've picked up from this thread that got me to this point and thanks to Ross for the great deal on the mill.

A bit off topic but about 12 months ago I had a whinge on TBN about the fact that the US had all the good equipment and ingredients and the home brew scene in Oz (well, Qld) sucked in that respect. Well, since then, Ross and Frank (and other's I'm sure) have done their best to prove me wrong and thanks to them I have since spent squillions with them in repentance. Thanks to Ross, Frank and all the other HBS who are providing us with quality equipment, ingredients and advice.

Stop me now before I toast Queen and country ...

G'day all

It's a very exciting day in the Grunt household as my brand new Marga Mill turned up yesterday (thanks Ross) and I have just finished the adjustments as per the excellent instructions amidst these pages. Just finished mt first ever crush (of the malted grain variety :D ) and wanted to share the results with you. Many shredded husks and bits of grain and only a little flour. BTW, this is some JWM pilsenrer grain going into a bastardised Oktoberfest/dark lager tomorrow. The photo shows just a handful full of grain. Pending comments, I will do the big crush tomorrow morning.

Woddayathink?

Cheers

ToG

Woo hoo ... primed with a 12 month aged Pale Ale followed by a similarly aged IPA I decided to attack the <1 week old marga tonight.

Started with the hopper first - too easy.

Bit of hassle popping the cover off the adjustment knob but got it after a few different screwdriver attempts and most of the PA.

Slipped the ply (mdf really) under the adjustment knob in place and after a fair bit of amateurish drilling/routing and most of the IPA got a new adjustment hole with the #2 on the dial at (close to) 0600. The hole's a bit more oval than round but does the job.

Oh, and the white "springy" thing? Well, part of it's in the bin, the rest popped out and I just put it back in and it seems to be doing it's job.

Ran a handfull of pils malt through and the crush looks great, husks almost complete and the kernel cracked into about 4 pieces.

Haven't got a full hopper yet so I'll be cracking tomorrow's grain bill at a mate's place on his brand new barley-crusher but I have tonight's sample crush to compare to that. I Will let the list know how it compares.

Thanks to all for the tips I've picked up from this thread that got me to this point and thanks to Ross for the great deal on the mill.

A bit off topic but about 12 months ago I had a whinge on TBN about the fact that the US had all the good equipment and ingredients and the home brew scene in Oz (well, Qld) sucked in that respect. Well, since then, Ross and Frank (and other's I'm sure) have done their best to prove me wrong and thanks to them I have since spent squillions with them in repentance. Thanks to Ross, Frank and all the other HBS who are providing us with quality equipment, ingredients and advice.

Stop me now before I toast Queen and country ...

firstcrush2.jpg

Woddayathink?

I think it looks alright. Maybe a tad on the coarse side if anything, but that means it will lauter well. Depending on what kind of mash system you use the efficiency might be a little low, closer to 70 than 80, but otherwise it looks good. The danger of going finer is that you might end up with a slow or stuck sparge. Go for it as is and see what happens and make adjustments you think might be needed for the next brew.

It is great to own your own mill.

Thanks Steve. As you say, I'll give it a go and see what happens. I'll just try a single infusion with a mash out.

Cheers

ToG

I think it looks alright. Maybe a tad on the coarse side if anything, but that means it will lauter well. Depending on what kind of mash system you use the efficiency might be a little low, closer to 70 than 80, but otherwise it looks good. The danger of going finer is that you might end up with a slow or stuck sparge. Go for it as is and see what happens and make adjustments you think might be needed for the next brew.

It is great to own your own mill.

All mills are different.

Make sure that you check your gap reguarly....you would amazed at how your mill gap will change over time...

Yes it will change.........check now before the mice do it for you...

splat....

Latest posts

Back