• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Grain Mill Wanted

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manaen

Reaction score
Does anyone have a grain mill for sale, or are thinking of upgrading?

If you want the Mother-of all-Grain mills, then Tony, from Tamworth may be able to help you out with a basic stainless steel knurled roller set-up. Might take some time, but it will crack 5kg in under 3mins with a great crush.... :beerbang:

Dont know if he is still able to make them.He only supplies the rollers in a frame. You will need to make your own hopper and box to sit them on.

Well I was looking at a crankenstein 2A two roller setup so if Tony is making them I am very interested.

Any idea of price and availability?

You will have to ask the man yourself. They are not really a production model, but they are one great set of rollers

You will have to ask the man yourself. They are not really a production model, but they are one great set of rollers

100_4667.JPG

100_4667.JPG

Hey Stu,
I have a workmate who will turn up some rollers for me, what I'd like to know is does only one of the rollers have to be driven, or do both the rollers need to be connected by gears ?

cheers

Browndog

Browndog,
One roller is all you need. Sometimes you will get stones (or worse a piece of metal) in your malt.

cheers
Darren

Well, that makes it all the more easier, I'll have to use mild steel, will rust be a problem? I imagine keeping any type of oil on the rollers will be a big no no.

cheers

Browndog

From what I've read, only having one drive roller does a better job of stripping the husks from the grains. If you think about it, 2 rollers moving at the same speed will just give a squeezing effect through the rollers, where one stationery and one moving will be much better at 'tearing' at the husk. Knurled rollers help with this as well.

Hey browndog, does your workmate want to make a few sets of the rollers? I would be keen and I am sure you will have no problems selling any others.

I found this link of a bloke in the states that made his own mill .. but from reading the old posts from tony the rollers are the hardest part to get. I am guessing they need to roll fairly smoothly for decent efficiency for the crush.

http://www.beerbarian.com/homebrew/maltmill/page1.html

I'll have a word woth him Manaen, but I can't promise anything. Just out of interest the barstock for the rollers is going to cost me $20 and postage would be a killer, your best option might be going to your local engineering firm and supplying the material yourself and asking them to turn the ends down to fit the bearings and knurling the rest.

cheers

Browndog

What is the standard gap on the crankandstein mills?

save the hassle - just by a barley crusher - mine has been to hell and back!

Scotty

Joel said:
What is the standard gap on the crankandstein mills?
[post="113424"][/post]​

Don't know about standard but I set mine to 0.7mm and it works great. I suspect thats a bit smaller than the standard (mine was second hand so i'm not sure if it was still at the factory setting when I got it). Its a pretty fine crush but the husks are staying intact so it sparges nicely. I am lead to believe that a finer crush may lead to higher efficiency.

Cheers
Dave

does your workmate want to make a few sets of the rollers? I would be keen and I am sure you will have no problems selling any others.

In a few weeks I will be getting some rollers made up plus a few extras, if your still interested I will sent you a PM when they arive.

Latest posts

Back