Grain Bill Substitution Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark_m

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've done a couple of double batches (46-48l) of a variation on Ross' NS summer ale:

9.00 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 91.84 %
0.80 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 8.16 %
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.40 %] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops 20.6 IBU
30.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.40 %] (20 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
40.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.40 %] (5 min) Hops 5.0 IBU
50.00 gm Nelson Sauvin [12.40 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs US-05 (DCL #uso5) Yeast-Ale

I'm trying to achieve something similar but currently find myself without supplies of Maris Otter, and with an excess of BB Pale pilsener.

Contemplating the above recipe, substituting 7.5kg BB pale pilsener & adding 1.5kg Weyerman light munich to add a bit of body & colour.

Any thoughts / advice on how this would work?

Do I need to add a small quantity of amber ?

Cheers

Mark

Think that would work out well, forget the Amber, keep it simple.

Yep, amber won't work well in this kind of beer.

Based on my personal experience I'd be inclined to say drop the Nelson Sauvin too :lol: (not much of a fan) but I'll stop short of that.

But why not just use the pale malt in direct substitution for the MO? You'll get a lighter colour but that's not out of style for a summer ale. In fact, I think I would even prefer it! The Nelson will give you plenty of sweet fruity character anyway.

I've brewed that recipe with Pils instead of MO. I used 8.0 kg Pils, 1.0 kg Vienna and 1.0 kg Wheat. It was a really light, fruity summer ale that worked well with the NS.

For a twist and to accentuate the fruitiness a little more and give it a really clean finish, ferment it at 16 with Swiss Lager yeast (S189), works a treat with the NS.

+1 for leaving the Amber out

Thanks for the feedback guys,
will run with pils/munich/wheat grain bill.
Cheers
Mark.

Latest posts

Back