Goodbye Bronwyn

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Airgead said:
Growth is measured in GDP which is a very skewed measure. All it measures is the amount of money moving. Not how much good its doing. Natural disasters like fires are good for GDP because people need to spend money to rebuild. People getting sick is good for GDP because they need to pay for healthcare (especially if they are old because then you don't need to count lost earnings).

The inventor of GDP as a metric said that it would be a really stupid idea to use GDP as the sole measure of an economy and yet here we are doing just that.

GDP has been increasing steadily since about 1945. On the other hand, measures like GPI (general progress indicator) have been going backwards since the 70s. More money moving (higher gdp)... less benefit from that (lower GPI).

Sucks eh.

Ahh, now I get it. The more or less you can access, the more or less you can move. Thanks for the clarification mate.

Airgead said:
Growth is measured in GDP which is a very skewed measure. All it measures is the amount of money moving. Not how much good its doing. Natural disasters like fires are good for GDP because people need to spend money to rebuild. People getting sick is good for GDP because they need to pay for healthcare (especially if they are old because then you don't need to count lost earnings).

The inventor of GDP as a metric said that it would be a really stupid idea to use GDP as the sole measure of an economy and yet here we are doing just that.

GDP has been increasing steadily since about 1945. On the other hand, measures like GPI (general progress indicator) have been going backwards since the 70s. More money moving (higher gdp)... less benefit from that (lower GPI).

Sucks eh.

WAR is also good for GDP. Well the bit after the war is good.

Its sad that they create wars just so people can make money from it

Tropico said:
Oh, that's ok then, it only cost me 8 cents.
8 cents per second

And she would have to fly from Canberra, cause you know, it has to be official and all that

Ducatiboy stu said:
A bunch of Jews surrounded by Arab's was never really going to work
******* Abraham/Ibrahim. God/Yaweh/Allah should've demanded he kill himself.

madpierre06 said:
Growth rate...sorry mate, I don't rate the term, nothing personal, but there was a time where this phrase didn't exist. If they (China) have grown, at whose personal expense has this happened. Back in the day, everyone who worked hard, had a modicum of motivation, and a decent work ethic, had a FAIR shot at making a buck and buying a HOME to raise a family in. Not now.

Now we have growth rates, economies, FTA's, ******* try and achieve the above without money already behind you and see how you go. No more HOMES, just investment comoddoties which you have very little chance of accessing, jobs which are now part of a bloody MARKET, and try and find one of these that is full time and see how you go. I can still remember losing a job one friday, going to the pub and by end of day had a job teed up to start on monday morning. Try that now. nJust walk around the suprmarkets now, there was a time where those fellas in OUR community who had disabilities/special needs would always be seen either pushing pallets through shopping aisles or trains of trolleys through the carpark, they could access jobs which gave them a sense of self worth in a world in which they had very little other opportunity........they had paying jobs. Have a look now, eh. These jobs are subbied out to other organisations who I am very sure pay a lot less to their current employees who are very seldom of australian heritage.
Mate you can talk yourself down just as much as you can talk yourself up, you've got to start and look for the positive side of life, not what you feel are the negative sides of your life.

manticle said:
Where'd you get your psychology degree mate? Was it expensive?
But how does that make you feel?

manticle said:
Where'd you get your psychology degree mate? Was it expensive?
What? Don't you like the concept of 'I think it is, therefore it is'. This approach helps when your argument falls apart. Logic can take a back seat if you choose to ignore it's existence.

madpierre06 said:
Growth rate...sorry mate, I don't rate the term, nothing personal, but there was a time where this phrase didn't exist. If they (China) have grown, at whose personal expense has this happened. Back in the day, everyone who worked hard, had a modicum of motivation, and a decent work ethic, had a FAIR shot at making a buck and buying a HOME to raise a family in. Not now.

Now we have growth rates, economies, FTA's, ******* try and achieve the above without money already behind you and see how you go. No more HOMES, just investment comoddoties which you have very little chance of accessing, jobs which are now part of a bloody MARKET, and try and find one of these that is full time and see how you go. I can still remember losing a job one friday, going to the pub and by end of day had a job teed up to start on monday morning. Try that now. nJust walk around the suprmarkets now, there was a time where those fellas in OUR community who had disabilities/special needs would always be seen either pushing pallets through shopping aisles or trains of trolleys through the carpark, they could access jobs which gave them a sense of self worth in a world in which they had very little other opportunity........they had paying jobs. Have a look now, eh. These jobs are subbied out to other organisations who I am very sure pay a lot less to their current employees who are very seldom of australian heritage.
Wow....you sound like you have had a few to many knock backs in your life.

Like all environments from the start of time, you either adapt or you fade away.

The question I have for anyone on a rant is what have you done to change or better the situation? In most cases the answer no doubt will end at the rant itself.

goomboogo said:
What? Don't you like the concept of 'I think it is, therefore it is'. This approach helps when your argument falls apart. Logic can take a back seat if you choose to ignore it's existence.
Mine fell apart at post #1. The rest has been purely entertainment at the expense of those who....oh....never mind

Burt de Ernie said:
The question I have for anyone on a rant is what have you done to change or better the situation? In most cases the answer no doubt will end at the rant itself at 59 pages

Burt de Ernie said:
Wow....you sound like you have had a few to many knock backs in your life.

Like all environments from the start of time, you either adapt or you fade away.

The question I have for anyone on a rant is what have you done to change or better the situation? In most cases the answer no doubt will end at the rant itself.
What are you talking about?

Back