Good Pub Nosh

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proudscum

Reaction score
Have just score a kitchen managers job and apart from getting the kitchen sorted will be building a pub friendly menu with great rustic food.The food will sit in the middle ground so not quite your Gastropub fare but down a notch.This pub was a find by accident as a mate was having 40th drinks there last Thursday.12 taps with 10 going to craft type beers.

So the question is if you where going to have some bar snacks or a meal other than the bog standard lamb shanks,parma,Burger to go with your pint of Pacific ale feral hop hog or white rabbit what would it be?

Looking to Australian and European food,not Asian inspired....fresh flavours and local ingredients.

Have just score a kitchen managers job and apart from getting the kitchen sorted will be building a pub friendly menu with great rustic food.The food will sit in the middle ground so not quite your Gastropub fare but down a notch.This pub was a find by accident as a mate was having 40th drinks there last Thursday.12 taps with 10 going to craft type beers.

So the question is if you where going to have some bar snacks or a meal other than the bog standard lamb shanks,parma,Burger to go with your pint of Pacific ale feral hop hog or white rabbit what would it be?

Looking to Australian and European food,not Asian inspired....fresh flavours and local ingredients.

Wow. What an opportunity. Seasonal cooking is the go as you know - can't go wrong cooking as far as possible to the season with what's available. I would have called the std lamb shanks, burger etc as middle ground?

Living vicariously, I suggest the following: Standard classic snacks, scotched eggs, ploughmans lunches - vintage local cheese plates with quince paste and local pates, nice chutneys etc - all pre prep and easy to put on the table quickly, perhaps some fresh artichoke chips and sea salt, that sort of thing. A bowl of duck fat cooked chips, perhaps some pork pies... :icon_drool2: .

Mains. Stout suet pies, french chicken casseroles, gourmet sausages and good old roasts with all the trimmings in winter, summer; seafood pasta, grilled chicken salad with pear, maple syrup roasted walnuts and blue cheese and a pint of belgian blonde, god there are soooo many possibilities. Seasonal and fresh and you can't go wrong.

Desserts: Chocolate self saucing puddings and any number of other puddings in winter, so many go with beer, like sticky date :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: :icon_drool2: oh my god match made in heaven. Summer desserts are harder, I personally don't feel like any sweet stuff beyond a beer in the evenings in summer. Lemon cheesecakes and tarts, individual summer puddings to go with a nice wheat beer. cheese platters?

good feed of fish and chips/salad,with the fish done in beer batter,there's always silverside and mash with veg..would you like to name drop the pub..

Whole pan fried fish.. Trout, flathead, squire (baby snappa )....anything pan sized

Great steaks...

Good old roasts..

and daily lunch special like Rissoles or Sausages and gravy..... You would be suprised at how well that sells.

[quote name='O'Henry' post='795988' date='Jul 17 2011, 11:07 PM']Something for vegos.[/quote]

Yep... A big thick rump steak

I reckon the best stuff for bar snacks are Spanish style tapas

G'day PS,

Do you know yet what your price point is going to be for your meals? Also, what type of demographics are you looking at in, say, a 5km radius?

Dave

good feed of fish and chips/salad,with the fish done in beer batter,there's always silverside and mash with veg..would you like to name drop the pub..

prince Albert Hotel.Willamstown.planning day tomorrow.The menu will be the second stage of planning so i can see how it operates and how i can stream line a kitchen that will do up to 300+ covers on the busy days.
i think a trip to a few op shops to find some classic 70s cook books.

G'day PS,

Do you know yet what your price point is going to be for your meals? Also, what type of demographics are you looking at in, say, a 5km radius?

Dave

At present $9-$35 for a 450gr rib eye.Willy is an area that has got some pretty affluent people and being on the port you get people doing the drive across the city.Last thursday was the first visit to this pub and the moment i walked in i liked it.Beer menu on the wall as a big selling point,no poker machines and no TV as they really kill a drink at a pub.This is also a very family friendly pub so it encompasses the idea of it being central to village life.

To me some of the best eating expeirences have been bar menu at gingerboy drinking LCPA,Cumulus inc with trummer Pils on tap,Beer table in Brooklyn NY plus many in Brussels

A pub with good food should allways do well.

Roches only has 6 pokies, and they hardly get used, but has sidewalk dinning, beer garden, function room and reastaraunt, so can cater a wide range of clientele, along with 10 beers on tap

They also sell a lot of coffee... B)

Dare I say it - There are some good recipes you could nick from my cook book Cooking with Beer out first of August!

Jeez where do you start with the food????? Story Story Story! Walk across to the wharf where the fishing boats pull in and buy some fish from them and mussels from the mussel boat boys and put them on the menu - the story is local, fresh off the boat, bought across the road and cooked (with love) and in 30 minutes from getting it off the boat! Give people something they can only get there - that is what the story is.

I love pates and terrines and if you are going to go out and buy 70's cook books they will have lots of those in them. Whilst I am a meat man you can do some great vegetable terrines something I have not seen in any pub that I can think of. Pot pies are great too.

Good luck with it all - it sounds like fun and gives me a good reason to get down there some time later this year.

Dare I say it - There are some good recipes you could nick from my cook book Cooking with Beer out first of August!

:lol:

I used to drink at a pub in Muswellbrook about 7 yrs ago, and they actually made pies on the premises....awsome...nothing like a try full of fresh pies being bought out to the bar pie oven.

The chef was on the ball, he used to bring trays out about 10pm, just before he went home....

You can imagine a half filled crowd smelling fresh pies at 10pm.... was mayhem... :D

went to the station hotel and ate a lot of piggy bits tonight.

crumbed mussels with chorizo
salted piggy meats with a duck parfait
stuffed pigs trotter with exotic mushrooms.

had LCPA with the entrees with the crispness of the beer cutting through the salt and trummer pils on tap with the main,the dryness of the pils cutting through the rich gelatinous of the pigs hoof.

man that was good but expensive

How'd the planning day go?

hope to have a couple of my dishes on by friday......but in saying that i need to do a few 12 hour days to see how this joint works and try to lift the quality of what is already happening before going to crazy on the menu. Stabilise the kitchen and get it back on track reevaluate,change move forward and then that may mean my job is done....so could once again be on the hunt for the next adventure.The above mentioned hotel had a sign on the door that they needed a chef as well and that a 8 minute walk instead of a 7 minute drive is good when it comes to knock off drinks.if i do all work available then means juggling 5 different employers.funny when i was just getting around to thinking of looking for work as teaching cookery is stuffed.last year close to 1000 hours as a casual this year will be lucky to crack 250-300 not good when you have a reno and landscaping to pay off.looks like brewing may have to take a back seat for a while.

Latest posts

Back