Good Hop For Single Hop Ipa/apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbowers

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just nearing the bottling stage for my Galaxy hopbursted APA, it tastes amazing - so much so that im rushing the process to get it in to bottles asap!!!

Anyway, I want to make a similar recipe - 70% DME, 20% Dex and 10% Crystal most likely but this time with another hop.

Since I haven't been brewing long, nor have I tried many single hop IPA's, im willing to take any advice you guys can give as to what makes for a good single hop choice and why?

Would Chinook work?

Ps. No Cascade or Centennial. Nothing against those, just looking for something new.

just nearing the bottling stage for my Galaxy hopbursted APA, it tastes amazing - so much so that im rushing the process to get it in to bottles asap!!!

Slightly OT but since you admit to process related problems on your other two brews don't you reckon this is maybe not the best idea?

Single hop for an APA? Simcoe is high AA% and good flavour and aroma but never used it on its own. Might be worth a shot. A newish hop called Citra sounds like it'd fit the bill but never used so can't recommend. I've tried one all Amarillo IPA and while I do like the sound of it it just didn't work. Amarillo needs something else with as far as I am concerned.

I'm not rushing anything except for the resting time - believe me, the cleaning and care will be more vigorous than I have been previously. I just figured since it is tasting how I want it to already, minus the carbonation, I may as well bottle it. Is there an issue with this? It will have been in the primary for 2 weeks once I bottle it, including a 4 day cold crash.

Not sure how that might be considered rushing it. Longer than most people have their third in for, bloke. You should be right. More OT stuff, if you read the other thread again you'll see that most are suggesting that the issue is not how you clean your bottles - don't get complacent in any part of your brewing (says me who just tipped a whole brew on the lawn).

You might be able to help people out with this thread by suggesting a certain beer you might want to head towards, or something.

Not sure how that might be considered rushing it. Longer than most people have their third in for, bloke. You should be right. More OT stuff, if you read the other thread again you'll see that most are suggesting that the issue is not how you clean your bottles - don't get complacent in any part of your brewing (says me who just tipped a whole brew on the lawn).

You might be able to help people out with this thread by suggesting a certain beer you might want to head towards, or something.

Yeah, I'm going to pick up some starsan today, and with my sodium perc that i just got, will make for a very repeatable and reliable cleaning regime.

I'm looking to make a 6ish percent, fairly robust yet 'sessionable' IPA. The hop quality im after might be a more piney, resiny and perhaps a more mellow fruitiness than the typical Cascade/Cent citrus flavour. Yeah, I've read the guides on hop flavours but it's always more interesting to find out peoples opinions/experiences first hand.

The hop quality im after might be a more piney, resiny and perhaps a more mellow fruitiness than the typical Cascade/Cent citrus flavour.

Chinook is very much grapefruit citrus and some pine. For the record, I love it. It is not a mellow hop by a long shot. I think it would make a great single hop beer.

Some suggestions:

NZ: Green Bullet, Riwaka (D Saaz), or perhaps Southern Cross. NS if you use it judiciously.

US: Nugget, Palisade, Columbus (again, judicious usage). Perhaps even US grown NB if available.

UK: Northdown, Target

Good luck.

Mikkeller have a selection of single hop ipa's if your looking for inspiration, i've tried the simcoe, warrior and nelson sauvin varieties and they were all very tasty from memory

A bit out of my budget at the moment im afraid - I just splurged on the new southern tier lineup that came out.

another vote here for simcoe.

I reckon simcoe it is then! Im thinking of hopburting it, so additions at 20, 10, 5 and 0 mins. Probably equal additions which will add up to about 50 IBU. Will this be too much Simcoe to handle? Or, like galaxy, will it just be deliciously intense?

Simcoe is a pretty clean bitterness producing hop at least.

Yeah, I know. I was just kind of asking if, when used as a flavour/aroma hop, it would get overly intense with a hopburst schedule? Or would it be better to use a bittering addition and scale back the flavour/aroma additions?

Yeah, I know. I was just kind of asking if, when used as a flavour/aroma hop, it would get overly intense with a hopburst schedule? Or would it be better to use a bittering addition and scale back the flavour/aroma additions?

You'll get a lot of fruit from Simcoe. I like to think of it as equivalent to galaxy and nelson sauvin mixed but with a lighter punch in the head of flavour. It's a great late hop - and whatever you hop burst you'll get in buckets.

Ok, great. I love hops, especially hop flavour/fruitiness. I was just checking that it didnt produce any weird qualities in high quantities! Might include a small bittering addition just to get some more oomph out of the one 80 gram pack (half sized batches).

As a simcoe lover i'd concur with simcoe, HOWEVER!

Roge Ales has a decent "Yellow Snow IPA" made with nothing but Amarillo and their grain bill is pretty much base malt (ale malt, carapils and melanoiden) @ around 6% from memory. http://rogue.com/beers/yellow-snow-ipa.php

A very decent beer indeed, sort of like a balls to the wall Squires Golden ale and best of all easily adaptable to a extract beer! Hopped to 70 IBU's i'd assume a boil schedule of something like.

45IBU bittering @ 60 mins
20IBU Flavour addition @ 20 mins
5IBU aroma additon @ 5 mins

and a 2g/L of your final volume (e.g. 23L = 45-50g) flameout addition.

Cheers!

I have tasted the yellow snow. To be honest, I thought it was really good, but not so good I'd want to clone it. That being said, apparently the bottled version is different to the on tap version which I had. I did like the bitterness imparted by the amarillo though. Very lengthy without being overly harsh.

Anyway, got my heart set on simcoe for this one. Though I reckon for the next I'll use amarillo. I'm going to work my way through the major american varieties in half batch IPA/APA's.

it's all very well making your beer with one hop, but for science sake, brew your dme/dex/xtal (or to taste), then split the batch 3 or 4 ways. A Simcoe, an Amarillo then maybe your mavericks ...enter Northdown... Pacific Gem, and maybe finish with, i know this isn't single hop/nor 'ale' style, but try B.Saaz with hersbrucker... fec... do a Rakua...
with the same grains (and maybe a neutralish yeast), you at least have a realistic comparison...

Andy - 7 bottles, MEH...

Latest posts

Back