Advice for recipe for citra APA/IPA

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoboseyo

Reaction score
I was inspired to do a single hop citra APA/IPA because I had a very clean tasting Citra IPA from Little Brewing, that tasted more like an APA.

I'm limited my ingredient choices, so I'm going to wing it with a simple recipe with some ingredients I already have and some I can get.

90% 2 row, 10% carahell, caragold (that I have and looking to use up), carapils, (for some body without adding sweetness)

Hop choices: I was going to do all citra but I don't know if it's a good bittering hop and I only have 200g of it for a 40L batch and I would rather have as much as I can for dry hopping.
I'm thinking: magnum for bittering, then all citra,
or some dual hop with citra flavoring combo like citra/simcoe, citra/cascade or citra/mosaic

What do you think?

Citra works fine for bittering however with it in such short supply, I'd save it for later in the boil. I'd use magnum early and Citra late and dry. Keep the malt simple with a little light crystal and enjoy the hops!

I've got an order of Citra coming and planning to do a brew in a very similar way, with Magnum at 60 mins and the Citra late/flameout/dry hop. That's usually what I do when trying out hops for the first time. My grain bill for these APA style beers is usually about 85% Maris Otter, 10% Munich II and 5% medium crystal. Gives a nice balance.

I also have Simcoe and Cascade coming in the same order so I reckon I'll have a go at some combos as I also have Centennial and Chinook in stock already.

50% of your IBU's @60mins with a Magnum/Northern Brewer something big alpha and low flavour then hit the late hops with your choice. I usually do a 15 and a 5 addition.

With 10% carahell you won't need carapils as well.
I'd even bring it back to 5% unless you want heaps of body/sweetness.

EDIT: unless you meant 10% total for all three crystals. (I'd still reduce it)

Latest posts

Back