Good Hb Book

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eric8

I changed this because Gregor can't
Reaction score
I have been brewing for about a year and a half and just bought a keg at the beginning of this year. I have only used the tinned wort from the shops and hb stores. I am wanting to try a wet pack asap. I am looking for a really good hb book to give me some more tips. The only one i have looked at is HB for Dummies that a friend has. I didn't particularly like it, so was wondering which books other people prefer.
Cheers
Eric :ph34r:

I have been brewing for about a year and a half and just bought a keg at the beginning of this year. I have only used the tinned wort from the shops and hb stores. I am wanting to try a wet pack asap. I am looking for a really good hb book to give me some more tips. The only one i have looked at is HB for Dummies that a friend has. I didn't particularly like it, so was wondering which books other people prefer.
Cheers
Eric :ph34r:

Easy, Free and probably the most comprehensive homebrew book, for the basics

www.howtobrew.com

Papazian's New Complete Joy of Home Brewing was one I enjoyed, and got a lot out of. Mainly due to Charlie's enthusiasm ...plus it covers all levels of brewers from beginner to advanced. Very American of course, but worth the read.

...I picked up a copy on ebay for about $12 AUD ;)

See this site also linky

This forum is very helpful too :D Keep an eye on the All In One Brewery thread ;) ;)

Thanks guys, those should keep me going for a while. I am a pretty slow reader. :blink:

im thinking about getting a copy of designing great beers.

whats it like? is it mostly recipes (in imperial units?) or more about how to get the best of each style... these hops, these malts, etc?

how in depth is it?

It's a good book, Ash, better for somebody who already brews AG I'd say. It's not really recipes. He looks at commercial beers and competition beers and analyses the different ingredients that different brewers use for each style. He covers lots of styles (no belgians :( ). I've found it great to give a starting point for brewing a particular beer you may not have brewed before. :super:

it's a good book but it does have limits ie. not enough metric measurements, and also quoting that because the majority of entrants in some US brew comp used a certain ingredient for the style, so it must be right. 85% of the entrants in the lager comp dipped their left nut in the brew, so it must be a required ingredient. I don't subscribe to this line of thinking.
Otherwise, a good read. Thanks a heap to neonmeate who posted me his copy (complete with scribbled notes inside the cover) free of charge! :beer: I owe you beers.

it's a good book but it does have limits ie. not enough metric measurements, and also quoting that because the majority of entrants in some US brew comp used a certain ingredient for the style, so it must be right. 85% of the entrants in the lager comp dipped their left nut in the brew, so it must be a required ingredient. I don't subscribe to this line of thinking.

That's true, though he does say at some points that he thinks homebrewers could learn from the commercial practice and so on. The metric thing is a pain.

Must remember the left nut trick. Thanks tangent. :lol:

"The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia" by Laurie Strachan got me started in brewing. I sat down and read it one afternoon when I was bored and the next day I went out and bought a fermenter. Some good starting points and ways to get your kits to taste better. Don't think it's in print anymore (believe me - I've looked - I lost my only copy!) and not sure where you'd get it.

Other than that, Papazian's New Complete Joy of Homebrewing got me brewing partial mashes and experimenting more with grains. Also his other book (title now forgotten) took it a step further.

Have to agree with the comments on Designing Great Beers. Every style concentrated on beers that got through to the second round of a US brew comp in a particular year. Great statistics, but not sure how useful it is...

Next brew will be left-nut lambic...

adds a certain "cheesyness" :)

Interesting. Weizguy's Xmas case contribution last year was certainly very cheesy. Any confessions Seth? :eek:

Sorry for the OT posts. We now return you to your normal scheduled postings.

I think I've just figured out what my "Nut Browns" have been missing.

while i didn't get a "How to brew Belgian style beers well" from it, I found the majority of Brew like a Monk fascinating, and Farmhouse Ales almost as good.

I think i might try and track down the Aussie home brew book, makes it easier not having to convert measurements i think.
I wonder how much of a difference the right-nut would make?? A bit more acidic maybe? Guess I might have to try that, although the Napisan may burn a bit.
Eric ;)

I can second the recommendation for the "The Complete Guide to Home Brewing in Australia" by Laurie Strachan.

If you can find it. I bought one a couple of years ago just from a local bookshop.

Designing great beers etc are all great books but more for brewers with a little more experience.

The great thing about Strachan's book is that it covers kit brewing, extract brewing and mashing so you can get the best out of whatever method you use, but also have the information should you want to move into new ways of brewing...

I was recommended "Home Brewing The Camra Guide" by Graham Wheeler.....anyone starting out into home brewing should get this book, it covers everything from kits to AG....this was recomended to me by a long term AGer

rook

Latest posts

Back