Golden Syrup Priming

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcuste

Reaction score
Just a quick question after searching with no joy.

I have some Lyles Golden Syrup and was wondering if it is worth priming my brew with this when bottling. Will it give flavour etc or will it do SFA and I should use it in the brewing process in a larger quantity? I have a coopers draught and coopers real ale on the brew, both with 500g light dry malt, draught has 300g dextrose, real ale has 235g dextrose, 65g raw sugar (ran out of dex). Tasting them both doing a hydrometer reading, and the real ale tastes great, the draught a bit too bittery, and I was thinking of adding the syrup to this, just to change it up and experiment a bit.

Thoughts and comments please as these are only my 5 and 6th brews ever.

Marcus

The golden syrup would have some fermentable sugar but I'm buggered if I know how you'd work out how much to use to carb the beer. I reckon you'd either get bottle bombs or flat beer using the golden syrup as priming sugar. I'd suggest using dex for priming & use the golden syrup in yr next brew.

I've not come across recipes using the golden syrup as a primer, only in the fermenter. I added a tin to my current batch - ordinary bitter - as I had one sitting around.

BeerSmith says that golden syrup has a potential extract of 1.036, where sugar is 1.046 - so you may need to add additional syrup (compared to sugar) to get the same volume of CO2 when bottle priming.
However, you're still only going to be using about 1-200g in a 20L batch, so I very much doubt you'd notice any flavour from such a small addition (same as most people say the tiny bit of priming sugar you use is not noticeable either).

Golden Syrup has about 20% water; if you really want it in your brew, the easy way is to add it to the fermenter as part of the brew, then just use your normal priming sugar.

You could weigh a sample say 100 g into a litre of water add yeast and take before and after gravity readings, work out the change convert the change to Plato to get the equivalent in sugar .........or just add it to the fermenter.
Mind you you need to be measuring the mass and volume, not to mention the SG pretty accurately for the results to be trustable.

MHB

Like Wolfy said, the BS number assumes ~78% solids 22% water.

M

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think i'll just stick to the sugar for priming and use it in the fermenter. Appreciate the quick replies.

Back