Golden sheaf wheat

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bradgc

Reaction score
I've brewed Morgans golden sheaf wheat a few times and it's definitely my favorite kit.
I've brewed it with corriander and orange and wheat malt kits.

Does anyone have any suggestions for yeast, hops, sugar or spices to brew in my next batch?

Tin + 1kg LDM + 350g honey + WB06/Munich yeast.

Similar to a the Cooper's BeeKeeper recipe which came out earlier in the year. It was pretty delicious.

pcmfisher said:
Definitely use a wheat yeast if you haven't already.
Yes I've tried wyeast 1214 and brew cellar wheat yeast.
Any others that are worth a try?

maaark said:
Tin + 1kg LDM + 350g honey + WB06/Munich yeast.
Hello Bradgc

Mate if your going with this recipe dont make the same mistake I did as a newbie brewer. More is not always better, I tried adding I think 1 litre of Honey...I'm not quite sure what I was thinking, maybe I was trying to make Honey mead or something??

Anyway, this had three unpleasent side affects.
  1. The fermentation took forever as the yeast was trying to break down the dense honey, I grew impatient and bottled after 2 1/2 weeks. What I bottled became just short of bottle bombs the beer would explode out as soon as I cracked the lid, ended up pouring some down the sink for safety reasons.
  2. The longer they stayed in secondary the more honey/sugars the yeast fed on, unfortunatly as a by-product creating a very strong bitter after taste...lets just say you didnt "start" the night with this beer.
  3. It became rocket fuel, you could start to taste the alcohol. Im pretty sure one would have put me over the legal driving limit.
Moral of the story, stick to the recipe :blink:

Yes I've tried using about 350g of honey in a brew before and I know what you mean about the bitter after taste

Back