golden ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ducatiboy stu said:
Malt composition of extracts43% pils28% wheat15% barely12% base maltSmurtos all-grain composition is56% pils18% munic18% wheat6% caramunic

2 VERY different beers
Understandable. Im trying to get as close as I can wuth an extract. Closer then I would be using coopers sparkling ale and wheat beer.

Im not trying to make his allgrain. Im trying to best simulate his allgrain recipe with a full extract brew.

Thanks any suggestions appreciated

Malt composition of extracts
43% pils
28% wheat
15% barely
12% base malt
Composition of steeping grain
6% carabohemian

Smurtos all-grain composition is
56% pils
18% munic
18% wheat
6% caramunic

Work on the wheat %

wereprawn said:
Yeah mate, Briess do liquid munich.

Putting your leftover LME in a sanitised tupperware, chineese food container ect, then storing in the fridge works. Probably not good for longer term storage though. Just be sure to give it a boil for at least 10 min before use to re-sterilize.
Yeah cool. Im aiming to do all wort boils with unhopped extracts at the moment so the extract will get a boil.
Thanks for the heads up

Ducatiboy stu said:
Malt composition of extracts43% pils28% wheat15% barely12% base maltComposition of steeping grain6% carabohemianSmurtos all-grain composition is56% pils18% munic18% wheat6% caramunic

Work on the wheat %
Due use of extract im unable to control all veriables. If I use 1.1kg munich 900g barvarian wheat and 1.5kg pils the composition would look more like
42.5% pils
16.7% wheat
15.7% munich
15.7% base malts (cant help this one, part of munich extract)
9% barley (cant help this one part of barvarian wheat extract)

Thoughts

Bump your wheat % up by 2

Bump your munich % up by 2

The rest is basically pills

Ducatiboy stu said:
Bump your wheat % up by 2

Bump your munich % up by 2

The rest is basically pills
1.33kg munich
= 19% munich & 19% base malts
1kg barvarian wheat
= 19% wheat & 10% barley
1.17kg pilsen
= 33% pilsen
Assuming barley and base malt is essentially pils that takes it 62%
This looks pretty good comparitivly to smurtos allgrain recipe. In terms of an extract copy?

Thought?
Cheers

Whether or not it will be a clone of Smurtos, maybe not, either way looking at your recipe & the hops used it will be a damn fine beer (assuming adequate sanitation & temp control of course)

Thanks stewy,
Not so much going for a clone, lets call it a replica of soughts?
When I get into all grain or even BIAB ill give his real recipe a go and compare.
Im really hoping it works out well.
My laundry is a pretty constant 17-18c and my garage around 16ish but its been getting colder over night. Melbourne weather is pretty consistantly cold atm.
Will let you guys know how it all goes. 1.5 more days till brew day.
Cheers

Regardless of how close that is to the AG DSGA (and it does look close) it looks like it'll turn out great. My advice would be to focus on the process now and nail all of that and at the end of it you'll have a great beer at the very least! Just bottled my first attempt at the AG DSGA myself and am keeeeeen to see what all the fuss is about! Good luck for the brew day!

The golden ale started out life as a kit beer so the kit recipe is the original and the extract version (replacing the hopped extract with pale, unhopped extract) is the closest to it.

That said I've never brewed a kit/extract of any of the many variants of the AG recipes. Interested to hear how this turns out using the munich malt. Rye extract is available so that would be another interesting extract version.

DrSmurto said:
The golden ale started out life as a kit beer so the kit recipe is the original and the extract version (replacing the hopped extract with pale, unhopped extract) is the closest to it.
That said I've never brewed a kit/extract of any of the many variants of the AG recipes. Interested to hear how this turns out using the munich malt. Rye extract is available so that would be another interesting extract version.
Haha the man himself,

I have seen so many good things writen about your AG golden and couldnt pass up the opertunity. I chose to go the extract most closly matching your AG composition as after all its an award winning beer, and I font yet know how to brew AG.
I did read on a different forum how you love your rye and victoria hops. I wanted to give this ago first then experiment a bit more with the rye over munich and victotia hops.

Do you have any suggestions?
Mainly fo you approve of my extract replica of your award winnibg AG golden ale?

Additionally I will let you know how it goes, unfortunately as ive never tasted the AG version I have no comparison. If you were in melbs? Id be more then happy to share ya some of my finished product as a thanks for your insperation, and then instead of me telling you how it turned out you could tell me :)

Cheers

So I did a 50lt boil today with the above stated recipe (doubled).
Took way to long and im worn out (not quite sure why it took so long) Finally after adding boiled and cooled water to make two FV to 23lt I pitched a rehydrated and proofed us05 to one and a a 1.5lt started wyeast 1272 to the other.
Both have an OG of 1.050 and tast absolutely amazing. Like I coulda drank it all, a little sugary tho at the moment.
Looking forward to drinking the final product

UPDATE: My golden ale exeriment
I did this as a double batch boil, see above.
Both finished around the same time and both stable at 1.015/6 (kinda wish they hadda dropped a bit more)

US-05
This is so much cleaner to look at visually, it seems to have much more fruity undistinctive notes. not quite as nice mouth feel and the flavour note as distinctive and crisp

Wyeast 1272
mush dirtier, as in alot more in suspension atm, very littel fruity flavours and great clean mouth feel. all the flavours are very crisp and distinctive.
love this yeast and really happy with the way the brewed out.

I understand these are still in the FV and will continue to mature (just an update)
1 more week conditioning in the FV. then bottling and to be stored inside to cab for 2 weeks (18c) then out into the garage for at least 2 more weeks conditioning (10c)

Hope someone finds the above interesting and/or even helpful :)

Bbowzky1 said:
Thanks stewy,
Not so much going for a clone, lets call it a replica of soughts?
When I get into all grain or even BIAB ill give his real recipe a go and compare.
Im really hoping it works out well.
My laundry is a pretty constant 17-18c and my garage around 16ish but its been getting colder over night. Melbourne weather is pretty consistantly cold atm.
Will let you guys know how it all goes. 1.5 more days till brew day.
Cheers
Lets face it, who cares if it turns out exactly like smurtos, as long as you enjoy brewing it and are happy with the taste :) believe me, i have tried a lot of suggested variations of recipes and they have been great, but not quite what i was after, so brew what you think will be good and adjust from the results! ( sorry , i seem to be commenting on heaps of things tonight, but i am balls deep in a batch of pale ales and loving them hahaha)

Bbowzky1 said:
UPDATE: My golden ale exeriment
I did this as a double batch boil, see above.
Both finished around the same time and both stable at 1.015/6 (kinda wish they hadda dropped a bit more)

US-05
This is so much cleaner to look at visually, it seems to have much more fruity undistinctive notes. not quite as nice mouth feel and the flavour note as distinctive and crisp

Wyeast 1272
mush dirtier, as in alot more in suspension atm, very littel fruity flavours and great clean mouth feel. all the flavours are very crisp and distinctive.
love this yeast and really happy with the way the brewed out.

I understand these are still in the FV and will continue to mature (just an update)
1 more week conditioning in the FV. then bottling and to be stored inside to cab for 2 weeks (18c) then out into the garage for at least 2 more weeks conditioning (10c)

Hope someone finds the above interesting and/or even helpful :)
UPDATE
Bottled these yesterday.
I did rack the beer and left for 2 days to assist with sedement reduction and bottle clarity.
I must admit i love this beer tasts so good. Cant wait till its carbonated.
To be honest the final profuct of the 1372 is far superior to that of the us05.
The additional work and cost is well worth what the liquid yest gives the beer.

Cheers guys

Latest posts

Back