golden ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bbowzky1

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Im a new brewer and wold love to make a golden ale next from LME or DME with steeping grain and hops to fill out the beer.
My favorite golden ale thus far is bridge road brewers (beechworth), james squire is amazing to.
Any suggestions any possible recipes and so on will be much appreciated
cheers

Can't go wrong with Smurto's, downed one tonight while cooking the barbie, bloody good drop.

Thanks guys was looking at this recipe. As a novice tho not quite sure how to go about changing it up/ doing it as a full extract.

Will this work?
1.5kg cbw golden light
1 can Coopers wheat malt (or is unhopped a better idea due hopping schedule)
Some form of grain to steep, light crystal, caramalt? (Will the suggested 250g be enough)? Would anyone add flaked weet to the steep? I know keep it simple stupid
And just boil with Amarillo? No other hop variety? At specified hop additions.
Is half a tab irish moss equivalent to half tab worflock
Thanks guys really appreciate the assistance

Or would the cbw Pilsen light a good idea as smurto uses mainly a wey pils grain in the full grain mash recipe?

Keep it simple and follow the recipe for your first brew and build on it from there. Sub the unhopped malt extract for whatever brand you have available, I use morgans extra pale and morgans wheat because that's what the lhbs sells.

Ok ill see what I can come up with.
Cheers guys

Ive done a bit of reaserch to best replicate smurtos golden ale for a full extract recipe. Using the data sheets on briess LME and DME I've managed to come up with a grain composition similar to smurtos all-grain recipe that I think would better simulate his award winning beer then a sparkeling ale extract and coopers wheat beer extract. (I could totally be wrong, after all I am a novice)

1.5kg CBW pilsen LME
1.5kg CBW barvarien LME
500g CBW golden light DME
250g carabohemian (steeping grain)
Malt composition of extracts
43% pils
28% wheat
15% barely
12% base malt
Composition of steeping grain
6% carabohemian

Smurtos all-grain composition is
56% pils
18% munic
18% wheat
6% caramunic

With this I am going to follow his full extract hop additions of amarillo
20g @ 60min
15g @ 10
15g @ 5
And 15g after primary fermentation (correct me if im dry hopping wrong) plan to leave for a week or 2 to condition before bottling, I wount be racking to a secondary)

I would like to know everyones thought on my thinking and would love to here what peoples opinions would be on how itd turn out.
if its looking like itll turn out as a good drop and theres good support, I will do a double batch boil with a mate on the weekend. Ferment 2x 20-23 lt batches (please note the above is anticipated ingredients for single boil 20-23lt) fermenting one batch of the double boil with Wyeast 1272 smurtos fav and one with White labs WL029 (my pick as it should create a clear crisp larger like ale).

Look forward to all your thought, in advance I really appreciate everyones imput.

cheers

P.S would DME extract have had the DMS/SMM boiled out of it as the LME does?
If so I could use a briess pilsna DME rather then golden light thus changing the
Extract composition to
56% Pilsna
28% Wheat
15% Barley
Would this yeild better results?

I've used loads of the Briess Pilsen DME when I did extracts, it's great. No DMS in it.
For dry hop I would do it 7 days before your planned bottling day

Try 1968, awesome yeast that will flocculate like you won't believe and give you a really malty beer if you are into that

Moad said:
Try 1968, awesome yeast that will flocculate like you won't believe and give you a really malty beer if you are into that
Ok will do. Will have to review the frutiness of the yeast tho. I dont mind hop and fruity aromas but not huge on fruity fflavours.i am a new brewer so only just starting to hit up the ale styles. If not this time next. What you think of the recipe idea?

Carabohemian will steer the beers colour and flavour away from the original a bit. You would be better off with Carapils, Cara Malt or Carahell, if you want a more authentic verson. Other than that i didn't notice any problems with your recipe.

wereprawn said:
Carabohemian will steer the beers colour and flavour away from the original a bit. You would be better off with Carapils, Cara Malt or Carahell, if you want a more authentic verson. Other than that i didn't notice any problems with your recipe.
Thanks for having a look mate. Ill keep ya suggestions in mind. What flavour/character differencrs would there be if I were to use the Carabohemian rather then a caramalt?

Cheers

Carabohemian is darker and more richly flavoured. DSGA is nicely balanced between the hops and subtle malt flavours. Darker caramel flavours can take over and wouldn't be appropriate for the Doc's Ale. Caramalt and other very light caramel malts give the beer a bit of body and "smoothness" , and a gentle malty taste, which fits in better here.

wereprawn said:
Carabohemian is darker and more richly flavoured. DSGA is nicely balanced between the hops and subtle malt flavours. Darker caramel flavours can take over and wouldn't be appropriate for the Doc's Ale. Caramalt and other very light caramel malts give the beer a bit of body and "smoothness" , and a gentle malty taste, which fits in better here.
Thanks mate thats a huge help thanks so much. Taken on board and recipe adjusted

Recipe adjusted and golden light DME changed for pilsen
1.5kg CBW pilsen LME
1.5kg CBW barvarien LME
500g CBW pilsen light DME
250g caramalt (steeping grain)
56% pils
28% wheat
15% barely
6% caramalt

hows that look?

Bbowzky1 said:
Thanks mate thats a huge help thanks so much. Taken on board and recipe adjusted

Recipe adjusted and golden light DME changed for pilsen
1.5kg CBW pilsen LME
1.5kg CBW barvarien LME
500g CBW pilsen light DME
250g caramalt (steeping grain)
56% pils
28% wheat
15% barely
6% caramalt

hows that look?
500g munich

Edit- instead of pils light DME.

wereprawn said:
500g munich

Edit- instead of pils light DME.
I chose the smaller quantity as DME due to not being able to keep half a tub of LME fresh? I dont belive briess has a DME variant of munich. If theres a like product or a way I can keep half a tub of LME fresh till mext brew id consider getting some munich in there.

Any suggestions?

Ps if I could keep the LME fresh after opening I could use 850g ish munich and 850g ish of balvarian wheat thus changing things up again
Reducing wheat % to about 16 adding a 16% munich and reducing the barley percentage by over a halfish.
Thoughts

43% pils
28% wheat
15% barely
12% base malt

Smurtos all-grain composition is
56% pils
18% munic
18% wheat
6% caramunic

2 VERY different beers

Yeah mate, Briess do liquid munich.

Putting your leftover LME in a sanitised tupperware, chineese food container ect, then storing in the fridge works. Probably not good for longer term storage though. Just be sure to give it a boil for at least 10 min before use to re-sterilize.

Latest posts

Back