Going on a fishing trip and can only bring cans

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S.E said:
Couldn’t you just fill a few PET bottles on the day from your kegs/bottles/casks or whatever you normally serve your homebrew from?

Agree.

Get a few carbonation caps and fill a few 2 litre PET bottles. You and you mates will smash 2 litres before it goes flat.

Otherwise kenlock has you covered.

431neb said:
Agree.

Get a few carbonation caps and fill a few 2 litre PET bottles. You and you mates will smash 2 litres before it goes flat.

Otherwise kenlock has you covered.
Well yes, you could do that or just pour into PET bottles straight from the keg/glass bottle or whatever and drink it warm and flat as good beer should be. :beerbang: :ph34r:

To hard to transport kegs on a plane guys. So not an option. I would prefer my homebrew as I love the taste of it.

mrsupraboy said:
Thanks a million. I will have to check if the pub does it up there
in Rocky, craft beer is considered a medical condition that occurs post drinking xxxx gold. You'll need to get it further south.

mrsupraboy said:
To hard to transport kegs on a plane guys. So not an option. I would prefer my homebrew as I love the taste of it.
PET bottles would be the easiest way to go if you would prefer your home brew. You could fill a cube though.

I flew to Hong Kong with a cube of real ale a few years ago. You need to let them know when you check in and they will put it with the fragile and oversize luggage. Ring the airline first though to check it is ok, I phoned Virgin first and they said it wasn’t a problem.

Made a pleasant change drinking cask ale in HK rather than the usual Tsingtao and Carlsberg diet. :)

supra boy come and see me at work and ill sort you out. have brewdog ipa in stock.

barls said:
supra boy come and see me at work and ill sort you out. have brewdog ipa in stock.
Sorry if I upset you again with my last (now hidden) post barls, it was just a tongue in cheek suggestion so apologies if you or anyone else took it seriously or were offended. On a serious note though don’t you agree mrsupraboy would be better off filling a few PET bottles or a cube with his homebrew as he has clearly stated he would prefer to drink that?

@ mrsupraboy I should have mentioned if you do go with the cube option it would be best to fit the tap on the boat and not travel with it in the cube as it could get knocked off easily. What I did was fit the bung that comes with new cubes for the journey and attached the tap for dispensing after. Enjoy your trip whatever you decide to take.

Cheers Sean

I would barls but I have to get the beer up there. Not to sure what the deal if with bringing cases of beer on the plane. The cube does sound like a good idea. Tho I couldn't exactly think how well the carbing would be after 7 days at being at sea. I rang the Dan Murphy's in Rockhampton and asked about delivery to yeppon and she said $20 each. I than asked about ordering 30 cases and she said all $20 each. What a rip

mrsupraboy said:
I rang the Dan Murphy's in Rockhampton and asked about delivery to yeppon and she said $20 each. I than asked about ordering 30 cases and she said all $20 each. What a rip
Why not pop into Dan Murphy's before you go out to Yeppoon? It is only 5mins from the airport to Dan Murphy's (really everything in Rocky is only 5-10mins from the Airport). There is also a 1st Choice in town, but I find the craft beer selection better at Dan Murphy's here.

crowmanz said:
Why not pop into Dan Murphy's before you go out to Yeppoon? It is only 5mins from the airport to Dan Murphy's (really everything in Rocky is only 5-10mins from the Airport). There is also a 1st Choice in town, but I find the craft beer selection better at Dan Murphy's here.
I'm catching a bus with quite a few people and there's no chance there gonna stop for me. I asked but they all grumbled

My advice would be: don't overthink it. Rather than transporting cubes, carbing PET bottles, taking a full kegerator set-up or spending big bucks on imported or craft aussie brews - why not just stick with good old XXXX heavy, New or VB. I know you said you don't drink commercial beer and they may be totally unpalatable to you.

However this is a fishing trip with mates. The location, fishing and company is the focus, beer is just a secondary factor.

Like you, I'm on this site because good beer is a passion. But I can also appreciate a cold tinnie of XXXX (heavy - never Gold) on a hot day when I'm with the lads in the right setting.

Either way - tight lines and have a great trip.

One of my local "Brew on The premises" companies, offer the option to can your beer.

Not sure what the cost or process is, but if you have a local guy that does similar I'm sure that you could come to some arrangement whereby you take your homebrew in and pay to can it.

Would still work out cheaper than buying beer to take.

Back