Gluten Free Brewer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guido

Reaction score
Hi There.

Just moved to the Sunny Coast from Toowoomba. I have been brewing on and off for about 15 years, but recently started gluten free brewing. Not satisfied by the commercial range of gluten free, my goal is to make them bearable, if not damn tasty.

Cheers
Guido

Last person to leave Toowoomba needs to turn the lights off.

Welcome to the lowlands.

Don't settle for "Bearable" only settle or downright damned tasty.

Yell out if you need any recipes.

Cheers,
Martin

HBHB said:
Last person to leave Toowoomba needs to turn the lights off.
LOL Thanks Martin. Saw your recipe on the Arkara Pale Ale Gluten Free. Definitely goin to give that one a crack. Thanks for the offer for the recipes, just trying to get my consistancy down pat.

Not for Horses and Robbo, thanks for the welcome and the links.
I have been skulking around AHB for awhile and just thought I would say hi....
Cheers
Guido

Welcome aboard, great to have another gluten free brewer on board. What styles do you like?

spaced said:
Welcome aboard, great to have another gluten free brewer on board. What styles do you like?
Hi Spaced, I am a follower of your great forum, I enjoy a pale ale, I did experiment with your orange and coriander recipe, mine turned out more bitter than I would have liked. Still able to drink it, as I am one for not wasting beer. I made the mistake of leaving my orange peel in too long.

dubbadan said:
Anyone tried this? http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4000-clarity-ferm
If it does what they say it does, you can brew in the normal way and use this to drop out all but 20ppm of gluten (apparently the international standard for gluten free).
Dubbadan, mate that product might be gold for me, my stomach can usually handle one or two pots regular beer, but anymore I am crook for a few days. Nice score.

Dubbadan, mate that product might be gold for me, my stomach can usually handle one or two pots regular beer, but anymore I am crook for a few days. Nice score.

Yeah I haven't tried it yet but I'm keen to give it a go. I want to do a brew for a celiac friend.

Might be an OK product for reducing the Gluten for those with an intolerance, but for a true coeliac, it would mean days to weeks of pain and extreme discomfort.

20ppm might as well be a wheatbeer for a true coeliac.

Martin

HBHB said:
Might be an OK product for reducing the Gluten for those with an intolerance, but for a true coeliac, it would mean days to weeks of pain and extreme discomfort.

20ppm might as well be a wheatbeer for a true coeliac.

Martin
Yep, they've been doing a lot of experimentation with this in the states. I think it really comes down to tolerance as all celiacs are different. I've had a barley beer gluten removed this way, one made me sick as a dog, the other had no effect. I'd love to be able to go down this path though, as it would mean brewing great malt beers.

I hope they find a cure first though.

Guido said:
Hi Spaced, I am a follower of your great forum, I enjoy a pale ale, I did experiment with your orange and coriander recipe, mine turned out more bitter than I would have liked. Still able to drink it, as I am one for not wasting beer. I made the mistake of leaving my orange peel in too long.
Glad it's been of some help to you. With that bitterness, did you crash chill the beer after the boil? I put the whole pot in a bath of ice for 30 minutes to chill it down. Also the white pith is really bitter if you get too much in the boil. Could have been the issue.

spaced said:
Also the white pith is really bitter if you get too much in the boil. Could have been the issue.
Yea, I think it was the pith...really pithed me off (Boom Tish)

My wife has found that the Clarity ferm works ok for her. Made a couple of Dr Smurtos brews to test it out. She's "intolerant" of gluten rather than coeliac.

ON the GF side, having lots of fun malting buckwheat! Found that adding some popped corn to the mash rather than corn meal (use hot air and no oil!) mellowed out the sorghum and buckwheat a bit. Also as a bonus, makes the kids think you're insane!

Second to last GF brew was given 3 stars by the missus, not enough "flavour" / bitterness, so in the last batch i added Warrior Hops .........maybe a touch too many........ one bottle in a session is ok, rest makes good window cleaner

Back to sprouting more Bucky then ......

Latest posts

Back