Glad wrap lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay for krau-splosions!!!
Dunkel weizen with wyeast 3068.
This was about 20 hours into ferment.

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1413427575.700021.jpg

Edit: would have needed massive blow-off container to contain it. Parks got "20L" of krausen on a similar weizen in his 60L fermentor.

I've never had a big explosive krausen like that in all my years of brewing, don't know what I'm doing wrong/right

Both ferments have been similar. I may have over-pitched, but by all accounts it is a puke-monster.....

It also fermented out in 4 days which I have certainly never had. I left it on the yeast and raised temps to clean up for another 5 days though. Epic ferment!

I alway use glad wrap as a lid. Easy to see whats going on and easy to drop the temp probe in for accurate temp control. Why the floc would you need a sterile lid for anyway? it aint Bourbon in oak barrels.

I do exactly the same as pratty1 and haven't had any issues. Wouldn't go back to a bubbler now and it stopped me staring at it all the time lol. Plus I learnt to look in the fermenter and learn what is happening in there

rheffera said:
I recently started using the glad-wrap method. My fermenter doesnt fit in the brew fridge with the airlock on it. The alternative is to just have glad wrap over the grommet. I figure using glad wrap and the o-ring is actually going to be better than simply throwing glad wrap over the grommet. No issues thus far. Just sanitize as per usual.
+1 there seemed to be enough consensus on here that it is a pretty foolproof method

I was told to "stop that noise, it's not ok!" that is the reason I will be going cling wrap in the future!

Latest posts

Back