Ginger Beer Recipe - Scratch Brew No Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I expect two reasons: extract as much gingery/cinnamony (that's a word now, get used to it) goodness as you can and, even when washed really well, ginger is a bit of a dirty bugger (I don't trust it anyway).

Chappo may have other reasons - he's operating on a whole different plain.

Reason I ask that if I go for full boil I'll have to no chill in a cube, but if the boil is like a partial then I can chill it in the sink and ferment away.

For my GBs I only do a 6 lt or so boil and then top up to desired volume and I have no worry getting enough bite out them. If you're worried about that but would prefer the small boil option a good little trick is to back a couple birds eye chillies into the boil. If you don't over do it this can extend the tail of the ginger flavour without over-powering.

Wait, you may want to disregard that advice as I leave the ginger pulp in my fermenter - that would probably change things significantly. Best wait for the man himself.

Speaking of which...has he ever been this quiet before (excluding 5 hours or so before his 4000th post)?

[EDIT: just re-read his recipe and he does a 24lt boil]

just speaking to an old bloke today and he recons when he used to make ginger beer years ago he used to add a sultanna to each bottle and turn the lame sunday lunch GB into something with a little bit more kick in it. Has the old bugger taken to much medication or is this true - adding one of these boosts the alcohol content?

Puzzled, science tells me it doesn't.

edit.sp

Not sure about that skippy - but sultana's are used in the ginger beer plant I believe.

Sultanas have yeast in them, this would convert the sugar and give off more C02 possibly making bottle bombs? :ph34r:

Coops :icon_cheers:

Edit :speeling

I have one of these fermenting now. I've been taste testing over the last 3 days :icon_drool2: . Still a bit sweet but I reckon it will be ready for the keg this arvo.

Thanks Chappo

Chappo,

Any reason for doing a full boil on this? My next brew is going to be a ginger beer and looking at using your recipe. Has it changed at all since brewing it earlier in the year?

I full boil to get the most out of the raw ginger really.

I have one of these fermenting now. I've been taste testing over the last 3 days :icon_drool2: . Still a bit sweet but I reckon it will be ready for the keg this arvo.

Thanks Chappo

Awesome news! I just polished off a 9month old bottle of the Alcoholic version last night. Yeehaw woke up this morning with a hairy chest it was that good. Probably bring a couple of bottle to the case swap to give gravityguru a run for his money.

Chap Chap

I brewed this but only did a 10L boil. I really should have pulled out the food processor because grating 1.25kg of ginger is neither fun or quick. It fermented quite quickly but didn't show any signs of ferment apart from some slight condensation. It ended up being 1.000 and is now in the keg carbing up just waiting for me to connect a tap to it - tonight hopefully!!. Sample before the keg was very promising, very dry and very hot. Not as much ginger flavour as I was expecting, but maybe the heat was masking the flavour. Will see what it's like carbed and cold. Better be good as it's one of the more expensive brews due to the price of ginger and limes.

I brewed this but only did a 10L boil. I really should have pulled out the food processor because grating 1.25kg of ginger is neither fun or quick. It fermented quite quickly but didn't show any signs of ferment apart from some slight condensation. It ended up being 1.000 and is now in the keg carbing up just waiting for me to connect a tap to it - tonight hopefully!!. Sample before the keg was very promising, very dry and very hot. Not as much ginger flavour as I was expecting, but maybe the heat was masking the flavour. Will see what it's like carbed and cold. Better be good as it's one of the more expensive brews due to the price of ginger and limes.

Heat will die down with age. Unfortunately so does the ginger flavour IMO :( . Really depends on the ginger and how fresh and flavoursome it was. I'm sure once it's cold and carbed it will be fine. Wow 1.000 FG it's going to as dry as simpson and have a hell of a kick to her, best I have done in 1.004 and 7.4% ABV. I usually wizz the ginger in the food processor skin and all, saves the knuckles being grated. I know what you mean with the price of ginger, I have scanning the local farmers market for fresh ginger best price so far was $19kg!!! Worth more than gold!

I hope you enjoy it CDB :icon_cheers:

The ginger seemed very fresh. Was about $15/kg at woolies. Honey wasn't cheap either come to think of it. Total cost for the batch was around $50.

Started off at 1.044, added the nutrient the following day (forgot to do it when brewing) so that may have helped get it down.

The ginger seemed very fresh. Was about $15/kg at woolies. Honey wasn't cheap either come to think of it. Total cost for the batch was around $50.

Started off at 1.044, added the nutrient the following day (forgot to do it when brewing) so that may have helped get it down.

Even $15kg is way too expensive in my books. Come around Feb the price here usually get down to $5-6kg and same for honey. How long has it been fermenting for CDB?

Into fermenter 29/10, was finished probably about 3/11, chilled on 5/11 and into keg 7/11. Taste test tonight 13/11.

My OG reading says 1.055 but my hydro was reading too high at the time (it was broken) so I'm estimating it was 1.044 (based on beersmith's reckoning).

Anyone ever tried mixing the ginger up with some galangal (thai ginger)? It's an absolute prick to peel, especially if it's a bit old but it has a lovely flavour. I might give it a shot soon.

I really should have pulled out the food processor because grating 1.25kg of ginger is neither fun or quick.

A tip for ginger lovers. Keep it in a zip lock bag in your freezer, keeps for ever and when you need it, it grates up real easy, a bit like grating ice. Don't let it defrost as it goes all mushy.

Also peel it with a spoon rather than a knife. Sounds weird, works a treat and much less loss of flesh.

Also peel it with a spoon rather than a knife. Sounds weird, works a treat and much less loss of flesh.

One of the best tricks i ever learnt mants!

Another good one is for peeling garlic. Smash the clove 1st with your palm on the side of a knife and the paper always comes off in one piece!

It works best with younger ginger (although so does any other method). Simply use the rounded edge if the spoon as you would a paring knife. Hard to explain, easy to demonstrate but it's basically the same technique. The spoon edge will shave away the skin no worries, you won't cut yourself at all and you cut away less flesh and can get into nooks and crannies.

try it at home when no-one's watching in case you think I'm pulling your leg. I did spend many years working in kitchens though so my advice is sound.

Latest posts

Back