Ginger Beer, Here I Come!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled my coopers kit GB on Tuesday which I made with 2kg of raw sugar that I cooked into candy the night before (as per Belgium Rock Candy).

It smelt awesome in the fermenter and tastes zingy as anything...

Quite cloudy, can't wait to taste it.

Your recipe sounds awesome.

With that much fermentable material you could expect a serious 8% ABV or more I would think.

started my first GB 5 days ago...

A coopers can with brewmakers #15...

a packet of dex ...

5 tablespoons of ginger ...

and half a cup of golden syrup ...

Had some trouble getting the fermenting started ... no pressure at all through airlocker for 24 hours... thought yeast was out of date as i used an old ale yeast from fridge so started the kit yeast (coopers) and added ... there was some activity when i opened the lid but added extra yeast anyway... 24 hours later airlocker still not bubbling but had a little pressure holding water to the outer chamber of airlocker... opened lid and huge activity and yeast cake on top... had tried tightening lid previously through the last 24 hours which hadnt done anything... but tried again and whoalahh airlocker took off bubbling out of control
Can only put it down to brand new fermenter which was purchased from bunnings and has the large 'o' ring inside lid ... mustnt had been sealing or air escaping through rubber grommit and airlocker

all good now ... see how it turns out

Just by way of completeness, and in the spirit of pooling information, etc that this site is built on, my GB has now been bottled and carbonated for a couple of weeks now.

Tastes pretty good, although perhaps a little sweet in the end. I think next time I might leave the ginger in the fermenter (rather than straining it out in the boil) for primary, either that or try using 'old ginger' (apparently has more bite to it).

Otherwise, have had a few appreciative comments from the good lady, so it can't be all bad!

mine has turned out pretty bad for ginger beer. but pretty good on it's own merits, at least i think so. like spice beer...
fingers crossed for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back