Gina looking for a long wall and a load of blindfolds.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey stu,
I agree with Liam. Don't force education on your child. There is no deadline/timeline when a child should or should not be taught letters/numbers/sounds. That being said children are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. But you have to tread gently, and learn to recognise when they are ready to start absorbing new lessons and concepts.

My wife and I made a conscious decision to not goo-ga and baby talk to our little fella. Why teach him nonsensical sounds that we just have to over-ride with English words later on? But we timed our lessons in time with his development. Which I think is the important factor. It has nothing to do with kindy, pre-school, the fact he is 2 years out of the womb. He is ready for that next lesson.

Hang on, how did I get dragged into a debate with 2 guys in the internet who have been drinking? Dammit, lose-lose-lose situation. He he.

Stu if you're genuinely interested in what I was referring to, have a look into the Regio Emilia approach (Italian) and also the success of the Finnish school system.

I agree that children do learn at there own pace, I have been there,doing it. They do learn at there own pace and some children,as my own will"click" at different times compared to others. That is a given. Any parent will pick that up. But you need to keep teaching them. They will not learn if you dont teach them.

My father, who is well versed in teaching those of highly variable intellect and abilities from pre school to high school, specifically those with hearing loss, has come to realise that the younger you can get them to use sign language and communicate the easier it is for them latter. In life..He used to start teaching parents when there children where 12mnths old to to start to use sign language to communicate with there child. He went on to teach parents of autistic children from a young age to be able to communicate thru learning and teaching

Liam...please qualify your statement of me "being a drunk on AHB at 12:30am....cause that is a big call my friend

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/12/china-maths-uk_n_4946810.html

Maths teachers from China will be shipped over to boost British pupil performance in the subject and to overhaul the way the UK teaches numeracy.
Around 60 English-speaking teachers from cities such as Shanghai will be taking part in a new exchange programme which will also see English maths teachers working in schools in China, the Department for Education said.
Education Minister Elizabeth Truss, who has recently visited the country to examine how it teaches the subject, has said England can learn from Asian nations which have topped international league tables in key subjects.

Ducatiboy stu said:
I agree that children do learn at there own pace, I have been there,doing it. They do learn at there own pace and some children,as my own will"click" at different times compared to others. That is a given. Any parent will pick that up. But you need to keep teaching them. They will not learn if you dont teach them.
My father, who is well versed in teaching those of highly variable intellect and abilities from pre school to high school, specifically those with hearing loss, has come to realise that the younger you can get them to use sign language and communicate the easier it is for them latter. In life..He used to start teaching parents when there children where 12mnths old to to start to use sign language to communicate with there child. He went on to teach parents of autistic children from a young age to be able to communicate thru learning and teaching
I'm glad we agree, and all of these things are consistent with what I said. I'm sorry for getting your back up, but I really don't think calling me a fuckwit was called for just because you misinterpreted a post I made.

wynnum1 said:
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2014/03/12/china-maths-uk_n_4946810.html

Maths teachers from China will be shipped over to boost British pupil performance in the subject and to overhaul the way the UK teaches numeracy.
Around 60 English-speaking teachers from cities such as Shanghai will be taking part in a new exchange programme which will also see English maths teachers working in schools in China, the Department for Education said.
Education Minister Elizabeth Truss, who has recently visited the country to examine how it teaches the subject, has said England can learn from Asian nations which have topped international league tables in key subjects.
I wonder how that will work out. Might be good, or it might have no effect. The fact that children of recent east Asian immigrants seem to do better in school, on average (at least in the places I've lived), suggests that these kids would excel regardless of the teachers. I'd guess it's largely due to the way parents enforce education at home.

Liam_snorkel said:
I'm glad we agree, and all of these things are consistent with what I said. I'm sorry for getting your back up, but I really don't think calling me a fuckwit was called for just because you misinterpreted a post I made.
Sorry about that Liam. ....I was up late and tired. Sometimes I can get a little to passonate. If I was drunl I would have been in bed long before

Funny stuff WEAL,

With Ginas departure now captured, I hope that is the end of this thread and it can be buried along with herself and then dug up and sold to ??????? :lol: :ph34r:

Liam_snorkel, my 'no private schools' comment refers to the fact that every school in Australia receives some portion of their funding from the taxpayer. Therefore, no school is fully private. This could be seen as somewhat pedantic but I am a pedant.

Back