Giant Freeway Signs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
So they are progressively putting in those huge overhead LED information signs on freeways - you know the ones "Call 131516 for information on road Conditions" , "Crash at Bald Hills 3km Expect Delays", "Every k over is a Killer" etc etc etc.
However I've noticed a trend to start displaying stuff like "Blood stocks low, donate today" or even "Save water, every drop counts"

Hang on just a frigging second here. What the fcuck does that have to do with road safety? Are we going to see messages like "did you eat 5 serves of veggies today" or "did you wear a condom when you shagged your neighbour's goat last night"

Nanny society - it annoys the hell out of me that my taxes are being spent on this ridiculous stupid nonsense without consulting me first. Does anyone here know the codes to hack into one of these things with a laptop? How about "big brother is watching you"

<_<

Godfuckingdammit, Bribie.

Perhaps you should write a letter to the editor of your local newspaper, that'll show em!

cheers

grant

Canberra has those signs saying how much rain there has been recently and how full the reservoirs are. It baffles me too.

With due respect to any on this forum who are "public servants", but this sort of crap just continues to prove the first rules of the public service:

1. Everything you do must be done to maintain employment for the public service. It need have no other objective.
2. Refer to rule no.1
3. Refer to rule no.1
4. Refer to rule no.1
etc etc etc

It's worse when the ugly signs are used to advertise something, like a store or restaurant.

funnysign.jpg

I did wonder about those signs and asked someone at the RTA about them. The thinking is as follows -

• They are there for emergency warnings and notification of hazards, breakdowns etc. This is generally regarded as a good thing.
  • Given that these situations only occur occasionally, they would be sitting displaying nothing for most of the time
  • This leads drivers to assume that they are broken so they ignore/distrust them as unreliable
  • They can't leave the display the same all the time (everything fine.. carry on) because again, people assume they are stuck and therefore unreliable.
  • Therefore they have to show *something* on them at all times and that something needs to change every few days to reassure people that the signs are working
  • Therefore they display "community service announcements"

The signs are all remotely operated so they have a bunch of stuff programmed in on a scheduler. Some dude doesn't need to go out every day and change them by hand.

So there you are.. it's drivers distrust of signs that don't change that makes them change the signs. ie: Its all your fault.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: spalling

On a simlar theme here, when Anna Blight sold off QLD motorways to itself and got rid of the toll gates, I noticed they took down the signs advising of the toll charges. Being a cynic I suspected this was because they did not want you to know how much it was costing you to drive on roads that you have supposed already paid for with you stupidly high registration fees and petrol excises. I wrote to the Dickhead Responsible The "Hon" Craig Wallace asking what had happened to the signs and was told that there was too much information to pass on what with differing types of vehicles and private/commercial rates being different it would be too distracting for drivers going past the signs at 100kms and would cause accidents. BULLSHIT, they just don't want us to know how much they are ripping off us to go into their pockets. They told me if I wanted to see what the current toll price was I could go to their website which oddly enough, is a pain in the arse to get basic information.

-BD

I did wonder about those signs and asked someone at the RTA about them. The thinking is as follows -

• They are there for emergency warnings and notification of hazards, breakdowns etc. This is generally regarded as a good thing.
  • Given that these situations only occur occasionally, they would be sitting displaying nothing for most of the time
  • This leads drivers to assume that they are broken so they ignore/distrust them as unreliable
  • They can't leave the display the same all the time (everything fine.. carry on) because again, people assume they are stuck and therefore unreliable.
  • Therefore they have to show *something* on them at all times and that something needs to change every few days to reassure people that the signs are working
  • Therefore they display "community service announcements"

The signs are all remotely operated so they have a bunch of stuff programmed in on a scheduler. Some dude doesn't need to go out every day and change them by hand.

So there you are.. it's drivers distrust of signs that don't change that makes them change the signs. ie: Its all your fault.

Cheers
Dave

Edit: spalling
Stop being so damned reasonable. Why can't you just be a helpless victim like everyone else?!

Stop being so damned reasonable. Why can't you just be a helpless victim like everyone else?!

I don't do helpless victim. :ph34r:

On a simlar theme here, when Anna Blight sold off QLD motorways to itself and got rid of the toll gates, I noticed they took down the signs advising of the toll charges. Being a cynic I suspected this was because they did not want you to know how much it was costing you to drive on roads that you have supposed already paid for with you stupidly high registration fees and petrol excises. I wrote to the Dickhead Responsible The "Hon" Craig Wallace asking what had happened to the signs and was told that there was too much information to pass on what with differing types of vehicles and private/commercial rates being different it would be too distracting for drivers going past the signs at 100kms and would cause accidents. BULLSHIT, they just don't want us to know how much they are ripping off us to go into their pockets. They told me if I wanted to see what the current toll price was I could go to their website which oddly enough, is a pain in the arse to get basic information.

-BD

Yeah that is true Browndog, but they would have to use LED displays as the costs keep changing so much. Maybe they should display what they are going to sell next so people really understand what they are losing. ;)

Latest posts

Back