Getting The Most Out Of Fermentation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chill1

Reaction score
I've recently put on a Coopers Pale Ale kit, using Coopers Brew Enhancer 2 and some recultured yeast from the dregs of 2 Coopers mid strength stubbies. Approx 2 days after pitching the yeast, air bubbles were evident in the air-lock with a constant temp of approx 20 - 22 degrees ... so all things considered this seems to be fermenting well. However, I'm now in the habit of giving the fermenter a good swirl first thing in the morning and later in the evening which tends to increase activity ... is this a bad thing to be doing? should I just leave it without disturbance until fermentation is complete?

Appreciate any advice.

I tend to disturb the fermenter only if fermentation seems to have stalled. If you rack to secondary to give all the trub a good chance to settle out it probably won't hurt too much, but you may end up mixing autolysis products (stuff from dead yeast) back in when it is preferable to leave them compacted in the trub layer.

Also, at that fermentation temperature it's probably unlikely to be necessary, since fermentation should be kicking along. Cooler ferments, or ferments with poor temperature control would be another matter.

T.

+1 for drtomc's comments.

The more you open up your fermenter unnecessarily, the greater the risk of infection.

Good aeration of the wort prior to pitching yeast, proper sanitation, healthy yeast, correct amount of yeast (see the calculator @ www.mrmalty.com), good temp control, monitor progress with a hydrometer. With these issues inhand, you stand the best chance of a good healthy ferment.

Also get to know your ingredients, some are less fermentable than others and can result in a higher than expected final gravity.

Cheers SJ

I think a bit of swirling is ok personally. But if its fermenting away nicely I leave it be.

I Swirled a bit on my most recent dry hopping in secondary to make sure I was getting good hop/beer mixing but made sure minimal splashing occurred. I left the lid on to do this too.

Ive heard of some guys plonking a fishtank aeration stone in the fermenter in order to oxygenate the wort before pitching the yeast, though I suspect this would only be nessessary for a full boil,( if at all ) not for kits.
By far the most consistent results Ive found, in my limited experiance anyway, is when you controll the temperature.
At the moment Ive got my Fridgmate hooked up to a heating strap with the probe taped to the outside of the fermenter. Ive got the whole shebang wrapped up in a towel for a little extra insulation. She now sits at a comfy 21 - 23 deg and the yeast coud'nt be happier.

At the moment Ive got my Fridgmate hooked up to a heating strap with the probe taped to the outside of the fermenter. Ive got the whole shebang wrapped up in a towel for a little extra insulation. She now sits at a comfy 21 - 23 deg and the yeast coud'nt be happier.

Hi Dave70,

No idea what your brewing or what yeast your using, but seeing as though you have a bit of temp control, i reckon your temps seem a little high. Ales (ales yeast) produce better (see cleaner) flavours around 17-19deg mark. Above 20 and your going to be pushing out more fruity/banana tones in your beers. Just food for thought.

Cheers SJ

Hi Dave70,

No idea what your brewing or what yeast your using, but seeing as though you have a bit of temp control, i reckon your temps seem a little high. Ales (ales yeast) produce better (see cleaner) flavours around 17-19deg mark. Above 20 and your going to be pushing out more fruity/banana tones in your beers. Just food for thought.

Cheers SJ

Pardon me Chill1 for digressing from your thread here..

SJ, its an APA extract using SO5 yeast. Its been bubbling away since Monday but I'll wind it back a little and see how it goes.

cheers for that.

Back