Getting The Condensation Out Of A Mashmaster Thermometer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

under

Crowded elevators smell different to midgets!
Reaction score
Anyone know how to get condensation out of my mashmaster thermo. Last time I cleaned, water must have got in. Farkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

Chuck it in a freezer bag with some silica gel packs.

Anyone know how to get condensation out of my mashmaster thermo. Last time I cleaned, water must have got in. Farkkkkkkkkkkkkk.

I had the same experience with mine. Every brewday produced the same result, condensation inside the glass. I took my Mashmaster temperature gauge out and after much levering with a fine screwdriver I managed to get the glass retaining ring off as well as the glass and rubber seal. This requires a great amount of patience and dexterity as it is a bloody tight fit. I left the gauge on the shelf by the window in the sun for a few days to dry out, do not attempt ro take the needle or face off. On close inspection I found the integrity of the weld between the probe and main threaded body pretty suspect. To reweld this joint was out of the question as heat from welding would only wreck the gauge so I opted for a coating of heat silicon to seal against the obvious ingress of moisture. Getting the retaining ring back on to the body of the gauge is a real PITA believe me, but it can be done so long as you are not tempted to throw the damn thing at the closest solid object.
If you can't get it on the first couple of goes put it down, walk away and try again later. You will be rewarded with a gauge that doesn't steam up thus saving the expense of a new one. I have done a few brews since the repair and the gauge seems to be holding up OK. I also have two gauges on my MT and I have found the Mashmaster appears to be tracking the other with no ill effect from the experience.

Cheers

BN

Latest posts

Back