Getting Rid Of Acetaldehyde

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tell us more about your yeast handling. Acetaldehyde is mostly about poor yeast health/performance.

I don't know where you got this. Acetaldehyde is produced by the oxidation of ethanol. If you get acetaldehyde you are letting too much oxygen into your fermentation vessel after fermentation finishes. Acetaldehyde production from ethanol is a purely chemical reaction, it doesn't need any microbiological action. To reverse acetaldehyde you can try adding SO2 in the form of metabisulfite, SO2 bonds strongly to acetaldehyde (but if there is a strong smell it is usually too late). Mainly you need a good seal to keep out air.

I've just been doing the old glad wrap trick, using the gasket from the fermenter lid. The lid + airlock doesn't quite fit in my ferm chamber. The latest batch definitely has a stronger smell to it that a few days ago.

Should I throw it into a keg with some priming sugar and hope the yeast can clean it up a bit?

Both Diacetyl and Acetaldehyde are made by yeast (not saying that there arent other ways to make them) but enough oxygen ingress to make a lot of acetaldehyde would have enough other affects on the beer to be very noticeable.
Having a read of German Brewing Techniques, especially the last bit on maturation should give you most of what you need. I did flick Kunze open and there is a fairly obvious amount of cribbing going on in the Lager page, including the diagrams, but thats where I would go first for information on making Lager so no big suprise.
Mark

QUOTE (mika @ Jun 18 2012, 05:18 PM) *
Tell us more about your yeast handling. Acetaldehyde is mostly about poor yeast health/performance.

I don't know where you got this. Acetaldehyde is produced by the oxidation of ethanol. If you get acetaldehyde you are letting too much oxygen into your fermentation vessel after fermentation finishes.

GregL, I suggest you google a bit more accurately. Acetaldehyde is just about the last thing that happens in fermentation before Ethanol,it both natural and a chemical reaction, now if you add too much oxygen after fermenation has completed you may get acetaldehyde but as Mark points out a whole bucket load of other crap (especially diacetyl) as well..on top you may get ethyl acetate which makes acetaldehyde smell like a walk in the orchard...

Acetaldehyde (well lack of it) is one of the reasons you manage your fermentation, and there is plenty written about that.

K

GregL, I suggest you google a bit more accurately. Acetaldehyde is just about the last thing that happens in fermentation before Ethanol,it both natural and a chemical reaction, now if you add too much oxygen after fermenation has completed you may get acetaldehyde but as Mark points out a whole bucket load of other crap (especially diacetyl) as well..on top you may get ethyl acetate which makes acetaldehyde smell like a walk in the orchard...

Acetaldehyde (well lack of it) is one of the reasons you manage your fermentation, and there is plenty written about that.

K

Hey, I didn't get this from google, it's just basic science. This gladwrap thing is just weird - is it so hard to put a lid on your fermenter? Acetaldehyde is a part of normal fermentation, but only as a step in the process. If you leave ethanol exposed to oxygen you will get either acetaldehyde or acetic acid, it's inevitable. It is hard to believe I am even having this discussion, this is such basic science. You only need a day or 2 of exposure to air to generate acetaldehyde, it will overwhelm all other flavours. Just put a lid on your beer and forget the gladwrap, that is really the stupidest idea i have ever seen, there is no reason to use gladwrap, every fermenter comes with a lid, why would you want to run the risk of getting air in there? I just can't believe some of the stuff on this forum, grumble grumble mutter mutter.

Hey, I didn't get this from google, it's just basic science. This gladwrap thing is just weird - is it so hard to put a lid on your fermenter? Acetaldehyde is a part of normal fermentation, but only as a step in the process. If you leave ethanol exposed to oxygen you will get either acetaldehyde or acetic acid, it's inevitable. It is hard to believe I am even having this discussion, this is such basic science. You only need a day or 2 of exposure to air to generate acetaldehyde, it will overwhelm all other flavours. Just put a lid on your beer and forget the gladwrap, that is really the stupidest idea i have ever seen, there is no reason to use gladwrap, every fermenter comes with a lid, why would you want to run the risk of getting air in there? I just can't believe some of the stuff on this forum, grumble grumble mutter mutter.

Yes, ethanol oxidation will cause acetaldehyde but poor yeast health may do the same. Acetaldehyde is an intermediate in the yeast metabolic pathway on the road to ethanol, if the yeast is stressed or in poor health it may not convert all the acetaldehyde into ethanol and your beer may taste like cloudy apple juice.

What MHB was getting at was if it was from oxidation there would be plenty more wrong (like sherry/wet cardboard)

I glad wrap so this is an interesting discussion, how does this go with the commercial brewers who open ferment ?

Lid without a hole you mean, I hope.

Gladwrap is simply easier to look through and needs no cleaning, just throw it away after use and put on a fresh clean (some say sterile) piece on for the next batch. That's where it beats the old lid, no screw threads and rubber oring for the nasties to hide that need cleaning.

Airlocks are just silly in lids. In a rubber bung on a carboy, I get it. In a grommet on a fermenter lid... Stupid even.

Yes, ethanol oxidation will cause acetaldehyde but poor yeast health may do the same. Acetaldehyde is an intermediate in the yeast metabolic pathway on the road to ethanol, if the yeast is stressed or in poor health it may not convert all the acetaldehyde into ethanol and your beer may taste like cloudy apple juice.

What MHB was getting at was if it was from oxidation there would be plenty more wrong (like sherry/wet cardboard)

Acetaldehyde IS the sherry flavour. This intermediate in the metabolic pathway stuff is true but is just distracting you. If ethanol is exposed to air it will produce acetaldehyde, full stop. It happens very quick, and is pretty much irreversible. This is how you get acetaldehyde, not from the yeast. But don't believe me, I only have years in the wine industry, just keep using your gladwrap.

I glad wrap so this is an interesting discussion, how does this go with the commercial brewers who open ferment ?

Open ferments only work while the fermentation is producing lots of protective CO2. A large batch produces a lot of CO2, so you get more protection.

I don't know what is wrong with a grommet and airlock, that's what I do with no problems. I don't need to watch my ferment, it should go without problems if your yeast is healthy, just check the sg every few days. You need to keep air away from your beer once the initial ferment slows, that's the basic technique of all fermenting. You can clean your o-ring and lid with hot water, no risk. The gladwrap thing is totally crazy, why would you do that? It gives no protection at all. Put a lid on it and stop looking all the time, it will be fine.

Acetaldehyde IS the sherry flavour. This intermediate in the metabolic pathway stuff is true but is just distracting you. If ethanol is exposed to air it will produce acetaldehyde, full stop. It happens very quick, and is pretty much irreversible. This is how you get acetaldehyde, not from the yeast. But don't believe me, I only have years in the wine industry, just keep using your gladwrap.

Perhaps the fermentation of wine sugars to ethanol takes a different path to the fermentation of beer sugars?
Sherry gets its flavour, and the sherry flavour is due to general oxidation, acetaldehyde is what is generally described as "green-apple" or "granny-smith" in beer terms I guess this is the problem that we beer worts have with assuming that fermentation is similar in beer and wine, seems it may not be ..maybe?
As to distractions, if I were to kill my ferment early my beer would reek, it may be a distraction to you, its a CF to me..

K

Open ferments only work while the fermentation is producing lots of protective CO2. A large batch produces a lot of CO2, so you get more protection.

I don't know what is wrong with a grommet and airlock, that's what I do with no problems. I don't need to watch my ferment, it should go without problems if your yeast is healthy, just check the sg every few days. You need to keep air away from your beer once the initial ferment slows, that's the basic technique of all fermenting. You can clean your o-ring and lid with hot water, no risk. The gladwrap thing is totally crazy, why would you do that? It gives no protection at all. Put a lid on it and stop looking all the time, it will be fine.
I don't know what is wrong with Gladwrap, that's what I do with no problems. :rolleyes:
I'm not sure if you realise it but Gladwrap doesn't actually let air in to your fermenter. It does the same job as a lid. With some advantages. One of which is space saved by not having an airlock protruding from the top of your fermenter. The main reason I do it.
And as far as Acetaldehyde is concerned, far more likely in a homebrew situation that it is a byproduct of a poor fermentation than oxidation of the finished beer.

Perhaps the fermentation of wine sugars to ethanol takes a different path to the fermentation of beer sugars?
Sherry gets its flavour, and the sherry flavour is due to general oxidation, acetaldehyde is what is generally described as "green-apple" or "granny-smith" in beer terms I guess this is the problem that we beer worts have with assuming that fermentation is similar in beer and wine, seems it may not be ..maybe?
As to distractions, if I were to kill my ferment early my beer would reek, it may be a distraction to you, its a CF to me..

K

The main flavour of sherry is due to acetaldehyde, from oxidation. Get a sample of acetaldehyde and sniff it next to sherry, you will see what I mean. The ethanol in wine is the same as the ethanol in beer, they will both oxidise to acetaldehyde. I grow lots of apples, the green apple thing isn't really a good description, I have smelled a sample of acetaldehyde and I have had acetaldehyde problems due to too much air getting in. Just keep the air out of your beer and all will be fine.

Ok, at beer camp this year I have kinda learnt a bit about this cycle. Important is to reflect that like wort production, the process of sugar coming into yeast cells and its next steps are enzymic.

Yeasts primary reason is not to make alcohol. Yeasts primary job is to grow, breed and die. To do this it must follow the cycle of glycolosis. This involves the process of various sugars into the cell via one of the 4 transport methods.

This process unfortunately causes an unbalanced redox reaction. To balance this reaction the yeast must follow the break down of those sugars through to fermentation.

So the various sugars (sucrose, glucose, fructose, maltose and maltotriose) are transported into the cell and and broken down to glucose.The various reactions happen sequentially. The glucose once generated in the cell via enzymes are then broken down to pyruvate.

An enzyme comes in and attacks some of the pyravate to make alpha-acetoactolate. This is released outside the cell and is absorbed into the cell at the end of the ferment. This compound is important as in the presence of free oxygen, the a-acetoactolate will spontaneously convert to diacetyl. Both these compounds will be absorbed back into the cell once the ferment is done.

Following the convert to pyruvate, an enzyme comes in and decarboxalates (removes CO2) the compound, while another enzyme comes in and converts the pyruvate to acetaldehyde.

Acetaldehyde is then then converted via an enzyme to ethanol, thus the redox reaction is then balanced. At this time some of the acetaldehyde is released outside the cell. It is then absorbed back into the cell ater on ....

But, the thing to note, the time taken to release a-acetoactolate, reduction to diacetyl and absorbtion into the cell, as well as the release and absorbtion of acetadehyde takes twice as long as the original reactions to release the compound into the cell. Hence, they take longer to mop up than be produced.

Hope this helps ...

Scotty

Greg sorry but somewhere along the line you have got the wrong end of the stick. Yes there are a couple of ways to make Acetaldehyde but when we find it in beer it is usually produced by yeast as a normal part of the process that takes glucose and turns it into alcohol. All be it under unfavourable conditions that have prevented complete metabolism.
YSM.JPG
Or if you want to get the Piled higher and Deeper version try this Sugar Metabolism in Yeasts View attachment 55315see you in a couple of weeks when you come up for air.
Mark

Going same place Scotty was only slower
M

Just keep the air out of your beer and all will be fine.
This statement is pretty misleading.
Greg is not totally wrong though in saying oxidation of ethanol is a cause of Acetaldehyde.
This LINK gives an easy to understand rundown of how Acetaldehiyde is formed, cleaned up and then can reform due to oxidation after yeast has been removed.

The guy already admitted he uses glad wrap, glad wrap lets in air, air turns ethanol to acetaldehyde. I have done a degree in viticulture, I know about the transient production of acetaldehyde as part of the fermentation process, and how acetaldehyde binds to so2 (also produced by yeast). I have been making beer (from grain) for 15 years without a hint of acetaldehyde, it is not part of what you would expect with beer unless you let in air. I have never tasted acetaldehyde in beer, but often in wine because red wine is partly an oxidative process, beer is reductive. If you have sampled pure acetaldehyde then come back to me, if not you need more experience.

The guy already admitted he uses glad wrap, glad wrap lets in air, air turns ethanol to acetaldehyde. I have done a degree in viticulture, I know about the transient production of acetaldehyde as part of the fermentation process, and how acetaldehyde binds to so2 (also produced by yeast). I have been making beer (from grain) for 15 years without a hint of acetaldehyde, it is not part of what you would expect with beer unless you let in air. I have never tasted acetaldehyde in beer, but often in wine because red wine is partly an oxidative process, beer is reductive. If you have sampled pure acetaldehyde then come back to me, if not you need more experience.

My only challenge would be that open fermentation is good, and the air absorbtion near to zero if not minimal. If it is due to air (well more succinctly free oxygen in solution), the dissolution of o2 once the fv is up and running or finished would be hard due to the constant release of co2, any oxidation would be from dissolved o2. Even at the end of the ferment approx 1 volume of co2 is in solution, so I cant see how an open fermenter is bad.

The guy already admitted he uses glad wrap, glad wrap lets in air, air turns ethanol to acetaldehyde.

Sorry glad wrap does not let in air, or if it does, too tiny an amount to cause the problems described (see open fermenters...). The way that people use glad wrap is to put some over the fermenter where the lid would go, and then put an o-ring over the wrap. How that lets in air when the beer is producing CO2 i don't know. I've done the glad wrap thing once, and I didn't get an oxidised beer with any sherry or green apple character. I did however get a beer with massive green apple character once from underpitching a cold fermented lager with a yeast pretty prone to it AFAIK (Budvar/WLP802).

Perhaps wine yeasts when treated well clean up the acetaldehyde quicker due to higher fermentation temperatures, the presence of yeast nutrient or not making poor yeast management decisions like pitching 5% then 8% then 9% onto the same yeast like the OP did, but there is more than one way to get there

anyway back to the problem raised in today's new post, try not gladwrapping instead to rule it out but 3 beers in a row with acetaldehyde sounds a bit much... maybe you're not leaving them in the fermenter long enough?

My only challenge would be that open fermentation is good, and the air absorbtion near to zero if not minimal. If it is due to air (well more succinctly free oxygen in solution), the dissolution of o2 once the fv is up and running or finished would be hard due to the constant release of co2, any oxidation would be from dissolved o2. Even at the end of the ferment approx 1 volume of co2 is in solution, so I cant see how an open fermenter is bad.

The fact is that even a tiny bit of oxygen is bad. O2 is a very strong oxidiser, that's how the name came. You may think that a beer saturated in co2 is safe, but there is such a thing as partial pressures, it doesn't matter how saturated the beer is with co2 it can still dissolve oxygen. The only protection is the rapid movement of co2 out of the container, as soon as that slows o2 starts to enter. I use an open fermenter for cider because I can't afford a big closed fermenter. A basic rule for all alcoholic beverage production is to keep air out, there are a few special exceptions but beer isn't one.

If you think that glad wrap is sufficient protection for keeping air out then go for it, just don't complain when you get oxidation or infection. Most infections I see on AHB are aerobic in nature, caused by letting air in. If you keep air out of your beer the chances of getting a problem range from slim to zero.

Now just don't get me started on leaving your wort in no-chill cubes.

Latest posts

Back