Getting Into Kegging, Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefo112233

Reaction score
Hi guys, im getting some kegging gear and just want to run the plan by you guys first as ive been out of the game for a little while.

My plan is to buy the items separately as it seems to save a few dollars:
2 kegs for $120
regulator $90
1 flow restrict longshank tap (is the flow restrictor really necessary or can i get away with a normal tap??)
disconnects + beer/gas line
and gas source of course.

So, am i missing anything here? any good deals around i should know about before i go ahead with this? seems like this will set me back between 300 and 350$. Really would appreciate some input here guys, would like to be producing some decent on tap beers for christmas.

Very Much Thanks guys, look forward to here you thoughts,
Shaun

Hi guys, im getting some kegging gear and just want to run the plan by you guys first as ive been out of the game for a little while.

2 kegs for $120
regulator $90
1 flow restrict longshank tap (is the flow restrictor really necessary or can i get away with a normal tap??)

So, am i missing anything here? any good deals around i should know about before i go ahead with this? seems like this will set me back between 300 and 350$. Really would appreciate some input here guys, would like to be producing some decent on tap beers for christmas.

Shaun

Sounds like you've got your head around it well enough to me...

I've just got normal "brumby" taps and don't have a problem with them. Others like the perlicks, or some other taps (adjustable or not), but i'm fine with the normal cheapies.

You got a cooling device for your kegs? (fridge/freezer with temp control?)

Other than the fridge/freezer not being on this list, you've covered everything.

Jump in mate, kegs are great. I'm just about to get another two for christmas. I only have two at the moment, but if i make a taller collar for my freezer, i can get four in there. Two taps, four kegs. Two kegs per tap (1 will be for backup on each tap) so i can refill once they are empty and keep on drinkin'....

Easier than bottles as you only have to clean one thing as opposed to 60 stubbies/30 longies. CAN be drinking your kegged beer in under half an hour, although obviously, like bottles it does get better if you can keep yourself away from your tap.....

2 kegs for $120
regulator $90

Shaun

Make sure you get a non-return valve to sit between your reg and the keg. Cheap insurance.

When you get the kegs get a seal kit too cause you'll want to replace all the seals. They hold a bit of flavour from whatever was in there last.

Also IMO you don't really "need" the flow restrict tap. The SS perlicks i got from ebay (search brauman59 for a good deal from the US) were much cheaper than i could search locally.

Also get yourself a picnic tap/bronco. They come in really handy and pour really good. For $15 it's pretty good value.

BTW kegging is awesome... you'll enjoy.

Cheers
:icon_cheers:

You got a cooling device for your kegs? (fridge/freezer with temp control?)

Other than the fridge/freezer not being on this list, you've covered everything.

Jump in mate, kegs are great. I'm just about to get another two for christmas. I only have two at the moment, but if i make a taller collar for my freezer, i can get four in there. Two taps, four kegs. Two kegs per tap (1 will be for backup on each tap) so i can refill once they are empty and keep on drinkin'....

yeh mate I've got a pretty large fridge i will convert to hold the kegs so should be fine. Another question about gassing the kegs... i read that i should gas my keg at 32 psi for 2 days then reduce to 10psi for dispensing, however, some of my friends did not agree with the 2 days of 32 psi and reckon that will over gas the beer - how long and how much psi would be appropriate for a "Normal" style beer?

Thanks guys

Hey mate - search for "balancing draught system"

If you understand that your system will 'balance' out in pressure, you will understand how you could overcarbonate your beers using the above.

Unless you go the fire extinguisher route the co2 is going to blow your budget. Hard to find anything a decent size under $200. I think I just spent about $250 on my 2.6l one.

yeh mate I've got a pretty large fridge i will convert to hold the kegs so should be fine. Another question about gassing the kegs... i read that i should gas my keg at 32 psi for 2 days then reduce to 10psi for dispensing, however, some of my friends did not agree with the 2 days of 32 psi and reckon that will over gas the beer - how long and how much psi would be appropriate for a "Normal" style beer?

Thanks guys

You'll get a tonne of different answers to that one.. Some people leave at "serving pressure" for a week and have perfect carbonation (whatever "their serving pressure" is). Others force carbonate, including myself.

Jesters Darts is right on the money with that recommendation.

There are many that disagree with both sides of the fence of carbonation (forced vs slow set and forget), but i honestly believe it's a bit of a feel thing. Peoples individual systems will no doubt behave differently (temp, line length, tap height dependent...) and you will eventually get a "feel" for what is right for you.

As JD suggested, research balanced systems, read a lot and have a go.

Also the recommendation for the safety valve in your gas line (stops beer getting into your regulator) is a very good.

I'm sure most of us that keg have had this happen to us at some stage..

Plus one for the non return valve. As I've posted before, Ross himself and Chappo came up to set up my kegerator for me - lovely lads - and while Chap chap was having a bit of a problem with getting the font right and Ross - working on the disconnects - got a bit distracted by him, woosh some beer went up the gas line and the NRV paid for itself on the spot and not a pint served yet! Easily done even by a grand master brewer.

Renting the bottle is painful and a quarterly hire bill, but at the end of the day it's a good stopgap for a year, doesn't cost all that much per keg consumed .... or just bite the bullet.

Certainties for the home brewer: Death, taxes, gas related costs. B)

Back