German Wheat Minimash Suggestions

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piraterum

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im about to have my second crack at a minimash method courtesy of the Brewhaus (http://www.brewhaus.com.au/html/Instructions/MiniMash65.html)

Im hoping to make a brew in the style of a german wheat beer and was given the following ingredients as a present to kick start the idea :beer:

1kg pilsner malt
1kg wheat malt
2kg unhopped LME

White Labs Bavarian Weizen Yeast WLP351
German Hersbruck 2% AAU

Does this grain, hop, yeast match seem ok? What hop schedule would you recommend?

Thanks your help in advance.

Cheers,

Piraterum

Hi all,

I'm about to have my second crack at a minimash method courtesy of the Brewhaus (http://www.brewhaus.com.au/html/Instructions/MiniMash65.html)

I'm hoping to make a brew in the style of a german wheat beer and was given the following ingredients as a present to kick start the idea :beer:

1kg pilsner malt
1kg wheat malt
2kg unhopped LME

White Labs Bavarian Weizen Yeast WLP351
German Hersbruck 2% AAU

Does this grain, hop, yeast match seem ok? What hop schedule would you recommend?

Thanks your help in advance.

Cheers,

Piraterum

That amount would not give you enough wheat malt. I would replace the LME with a wheat LME or DME, which is usually a blend.
Normally a german wheat is at least 50%, it doesn't have to be but you are unlikely to get the sort of character you want otherwise.

Hop wise you are fine. Many people just put in a single bittering addition.
Yeast is good.

I'd recommend replacing the LME with the same weight of wheat DME (e.g. Muntons).

All the hops can be added for 60 or 45 minutes to produce about 10-18 IBUs, which you'll need to calculate.
Maybe a late dose of hops. Say, 15g for the last 5 minutes, and that's all.

If the WLP351 is similar to W3638, you might want to add 250g of Munich I as well, to make it taste a little Schneider-y.

Seth out :p

Back