German Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyk

Reaction score
Hi all,
Im just about to bottle my first attempt at home brew ( a Munich Lager), and I am already planning brew number 2. Just wondering if anyone knows a good K&K recipe for a German wheat beer. I became became very fond of Schneider Weisse whilst over in Germany.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi all,
Im just about to bottle my first attempt at home brew ( a Munich Lager), and I am already planning brew number 2. Just wondering if anyone knows a good K&K recipe for a German wheat beer. I became became very fond of Schneider Weisse whilst over in Germany.

Thanks

For your second it pays to keep it simple and fun.

Try THIS can and follow their reccomendations.Normally only a true wheat strain of yeast will give you that flava.to date that has meant a liquid strain like 3068.Maybe have a look HERE
and consider trying a new product.

have fun.

Hi all,

Thanks

I brewed this a while ago and it turned out very nice.

Black Rock Whispering Wheat
1 kg Dry Malt
300 gms Corn Syrup
150 gms Cracked Crystal Grain
15g Tettnang
Wyeast 3638 Bavarian Wit

You could use Safale K97 instead of the liquid yeast.

withdrawn for clarity

some great advice all, Im thinking that the coopers wheat beer kit with a wyeast may be a good option for this amature thanks very much!

Ps. If anyone else has had success with the wheat beer tin please let me know.

Cheers

some great advice all, Im thinking that the coopers wheat beer kit with a wyeast may be a good option for this amature thanks very much!

Ps. If anyone else has had success with the wheat beer tin please let me know.

Cheers

Sounds like the go!

Ignore Mika Lika's total waste of bandwidth post.
You ask for K'nK german wheat,and he gives you a pointless post about belgian wheat and AG recipes.
Talk about trying to confuse a first time poster.

hi...i've been trying to research about german wheat beers lately...both here and else where ...and believe me when i say i'm no expert (rank amature yes ...) but from what i've gathered is that the whole key to them is bugger all hops ,some wheat malt and the right yeast as mr bond suggests ...it might be worth your while finding out what temperture you'll want when fermenting (do you have accurate temp control?...i don't yet thats why i'm putting mine off till i get it )...i've read and others feel free to shoot me down if and where i'm wrong ....that fermenting towards 16/c will give you clove like tastes and fermenting up around 20/c banana tastes ....when i do mine i'm going to pitch the yeast at around 15/c then after its been fermenting a day (as in a day after i see the foam form on top of the brew..)raise it to 19-20/c to get the banana flavour i like ...that is my intention but will probably change that after someone here tells me all the info i've giving you is rubbish then it'll be back to the old drawing board..
please don't let me put you off trying to make one ...this is not my intention at all....
i better say that again ...don't let me put you off making one please
... just thought you might like this info since your going to get the good yeast and all ..
let us know how she turns out please...
cheers simpletotoro

i just put down a morgans wheat + 1.5kg coopers wheat malt + 155gm dex with 1 sachet of k97.OG of 1040. fermenting at 18deg., will let you know how it goes :)

I tried making a US style wheat beer a while ago with a Coopers Canadian Blonde Kit, Thomas Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt Extract, 200g steep of Crystal malt, US-56 ale, and 2 x 12g Saaz hop teabags (infused in boiling water for 10 mins and chucked into the fermenter): topped up to 23L. It must've only been about 20-25% wheat malt content but this beer kicks butt; it has a momouth, carpet-like head (bulk-primed with 180g of dex), a fruity banana smell and all the sour notes of a much more wheat-packed wheatbeer. Not much to it really, if I did it again I might even drop the hops teabags to save $. In the end I thought it tasted pretty German even without the fancy wheat yeast. I might even just use the Coopers kit yeast next time.

Avoid K97, its not a wheat yeast,no matter what the blurb says.

Schneider Weisse...wow, that's a great beer. I spent a bit of time just down the road from Kelheim, SW's hometown.

My strong advice for a K&K Weissbier is to get hold of an ESB 3kg 'paint tin' kit, and a liquid yeast, either WLP300 or the Wyeast equivalent. This combo will give you an excellent Weissbier. Not exactly SW, but bloody good. Schneider is really a deeper colour and fuller flavour. Adding a minimash with some Munich (and maybe a dash of melanoidin?) might get you closer.

As others have stated UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES USE K-97. In spite of all the misleading labelling, this is not in any way suitable for a real Weissbier. There is a new dried yeast that purports to be suitable for this style, but we wait to see what the strength of those claims will be.

Sounds like the go!

Ignore Mika Lika's total waste of bandwidth post.
You ask for K'nK german wheat,and he gives you a pointless post about belgian wheat and AG recipes.
Talk about trying to confuse a first time poster.

Think you overlooked the first recipe which is a kit (ESB 3kg Bavarian wheat), with the subsequent alternatives being ways to finish off the kit, and then an extract recipe. Admittedly there was an AG recipe in there, should have deleted that, for that I apologise. The rest, I feel deserves to be there.

Schneider Weissebiers are fantastic wheat indeed.
A key ingredient for a good wheat beer is a quality yeast. From experience, WLP300 is particularly good, giving the beer excellent hefeweizen character.
If you want to make something similiar to Schneider Original, which is more of a Dunkelweizen, you may want to consider using some speciality malt or grain to darken it and add to the flavour profile.
Also, most of the Schneider weissebiers are also a bit strong than you're average, over 5%, so you want to use additional malt, or make a smaller batch.
If you're going to use a standard sized kit as a base (~1.7-1.8kg) you may want to add some extra wheat malt, as they often come out without too much wheat malt character when you combine them with additional malts. I've found having more than 50% wheat malt really gives the beer the full-bodied creaminess you should expect from a weizen bier.

Think you overlooked the first recipe which is a kit (ESB 3kg Bavarian wheat), with the subsequent alternatives being ways to finish off the kit, and then an extract recipe. Admittedly there was an AG recipe in there, should have deleted that, for that I apologise. The rest, I feel deserves to be there.

But that is for a hoegarden wit.

The thread title is clearly german wheat beer.(K'nK)

Hoegarden is belgian, and while a wheat beer is nothing like a weizen style from germany which is what was requested.

Keeping it simple and on topic for a first time poster was my primary aim in My post.
We should try to help, not bombard and confuse a new guy.

Latest posts

Back