German lager Grain Bill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Killer Brew said:
Some of these look great! Opinions on best yeast for a German lager?
I've only ever used W34/70 and Wyeast 2001 Urquell lager yeasts, and out of the two I prefer the 2001. That's not to say it's the best yeast for it though, just my preference of the two I have used. B)

Killer Brew said:
Some of these look great! Opinions on best yeast for a German lager?
I like WLP833 (Ayinger strain i think). Marketed as a bock yeast, but it works well in "normal" alcohol beers, great profile and pretty tolerant. I've done a couple of Munich Helles with it and impressed with the results. Wyeast does a version of the same yeast too, Hella-Bock yeast a a PC seasonal yeast.

For the recent NSW comp I did four lagers on various lager yeasts. I lagered three of them for several weeks in cornies with cut off dip tubes. They were crystal clear on bottling so I inoculated them with a small quantity of W34/70 and they carbed up fine.

The fourth lager was running a bit behind schedule so I just cold crashed it in the SS brewbucket and bottled as late as I could get away with.
Interestingly this lager was done on Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsner. It dropped so firmly that I can pour an entire bottle right down to the dregs and it's completely bright in the glass.

This will be my go to for Euro lagers from now on, it outperformed my usual Danish Lager in fermentation, lagering, settling and bottle conditioning speeds.

This will be my go to for Euro lagers from now on, it outperformed my usual Danish Lager in fermentation, lagering, settling and bottle conditioning speeds.
The Danish Lager yeast has a very definite Carlsberg thing going on, how's the Czech?

Bribie G said:
For the recent NSW comp I did four lagers on various lager yeasts. I lagered three of them for several weeks in cornies with cut off dip tubes. They were crystal clear on bottling so I inoculated them with a small quantity of W34/70 and they carbed up fine.

The fourth lager was running a bit behind schedule so I just cold crashed it in the SS brewbucket and bottled as late as I could get away with.
Interestingly this lager was done on Wyeast 2278 Czech Pilsner. It dropped so firmly that I can pour an entire bottle right down to the dregs and it's completely bright in the glass.

Glad Im not going up against ya Bribie sounds like you are on a winner keep us posted

German Pils

80% pils malt
17% vienna
3% carapils

25 IBU hallertau mittelfrueh @ 60mins
3g/l hallertau hersbrucker @ flameout

Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206

11c for 5 days then ramp to 18c over 5 days, then D rest for another 5 days... then crash to 0c for about a month (or until crystal clear).

3rd in beerfest 2016 pale lager

dannymars said:
German Pils

80% pils malt
17% vienna
3% carapils

25 IBU hallertau mittelfrueh @ 60mins
3g/l hallertau hersbrucker @ flameout

Wyeast Bavarian Lager 2206

11c for 5 days then ramp to 18c over 5 days, then D rest for another 5 days... then crash to 0c for about a month (or until crystal clear).

3rd in beerfest 2016 pale lager
Hi Dan. Do you check the gravity prior to the D rest?

razz said:
Hi Dan. Do you check the gravity prior to the D rest?
I should, but nah... I'm fairly the confident the main portion of the ferment is done by day 5...

Never had diacetyl in a lager... but I do get it in US05 apas... so ******* annoying.

I should, but nah... I'm fairly the confident the main portion of the ferment is done by day 5...

Never had diacetyl in a lager... but I do get it in US05 apas... so ******* annoying.
I thought one of US-05s main characteristics was low diacetyl?

The Danish Lager yeast has a very definite Carlsberg thing going on, how's the Czech?
For me, the Czech yeast throws a little diacetyl. True to style and reminds me of Kozel pils.
I prefer the German yeast when I craft German beer styles. The Wyeast seasonal Munich lager II is malty, and suits Helles and Schwarzbier. Probably add brewing salts to emulate Munich water.

Latest posts

Back