G'day

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
iralosavic said:
For the brewer who mostly just wants the end result (good beer) without the brewscience and gear lust, then stovetop is a perfect solution and BIAB is possibly better again for those with a medium budget who still matain this mindset (economical good beer production).
If I compared the stovetop BIAB method, which is much the same as the urn version - effort wise, and my lautering 2 pot stovetop method - I'd take the latter anyday of the week. I'm back to BIAB ATM, and it's a helluva lot more effort than lautering and esky mash tuns.

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
If I compared the stovetop BIAB method, which is much the same as the urn version - effort wise, and my lautering 2 pot stovetop method - I'd take the latter anyday of the week. I'm back to BIAB ATM, and it's a helluva lot more effort than lautering and esky mash tuns.
When I BIABed, I didn't lauter at all and somehow still managed 80% efficiency, so I never bothered adding that step! I just had heavy duty rubber gloves on and gave the bag a big old squeeze whilst holding it above the pot with the other hand to let it drip for a while (gave my forearm muscles a good workout, that's for sure).

Small update:

I was able to get the 50L pot from super cheap, so that was my main reason to get one that size.

The pot IS freakin' huge, so huge that it fits on all 4 burners on my stove. I don't think heating that should be a problem now :D
I'll have to do a no-chill cube with the wort, as it's too big for the bath tub as well.

Getting a bit excited now.
I'll keep you all updated.

Pffft 'motorhead'

What kind of stupid name is that..

Dave70 said:
Pffft 'motorhead'

What kind of stupid name is that..
Ha!
I think I was listening to Overkill when I signed up.
That album and beers go hand in hand.

wbosher said:
I just like having one pot to clean. :D

iralosavic said:
Amen to that. I think this is why so many 3 or 4vers are moving back to Braumeister style systems.
I have a 4v HERMS and yes, it's a bit of a stuff around setting it up and pulling it down for cleaning, but I'm not convinced that cleaning is that much easier with a single vessel. With 1v, at the end of the day, you've got a kettle to scrub and either a "malt pipe" type thing or at the very least a bag that needs a good rinse, if not a proper wash if bits of grain get stuck in the fabric (I would think - never done BIAB).

My HLT just gets turned upside-down to dry, My sparge water runs through the HX both for temp control and to rinse out the wort that's left in it after recirculating the mash, so no real cleaning needed there. The mash tun and FB usually come up right-nice after nothing more than a blast with a high pressure hose, which just leaves the kettle (and chiller, if used) needing serious PBW/Napisan attention. Ok, the system uses 5 silicone hoses, which adds rinsing time, but if you're using a 1v recirculating DIY Braumeister type system you've probably got a hose or two anyway.

50L stockpot, syphon, spoon, and bag.

Pot gets a quick hose down while muck is still fresh, usually give it a bit of a wipe with a scotchbrite and dishwashing liquid. This takes 2 minutes.
Flush hot water through the syphon, also 2 minutes.
Spoon, in the dishwasher. No effort at all.
Bag, in the washing mashine. No effort at all.

Total cleanup time, about 5 minutes.

wbosher said:
50L stockpot, syphon, spoon, and bag.

Pot gets a quick hose down while muck is still fresh, usually give it a bit of a wipe with a scotchbrite and dishwashing liquid. This takes 2 minutes.
Flush hot water through the syphon, also 2 minutes.
Spoon, in the dishwasher. No effort at all.
Bag, in the washing mashine. No effort at all.

Total cleanup time, about 5 minutes.
Yes this is fantastic.

However, in my case, buying all sorts of extra bits and pieces (for no apparent reason) starts not only adding to expense, but clean up time. Pretty certain the beers still taste the same too (before buying excess crap).

Stupid gadget itch/bug.....

iralosavic said:
(as you can just whirlpool it, whereas you will struggle to whirlpool in a keggle), .
Really?

I use a keggle and whirlpool easily (and beautifully - it's like ballet without the tights).

I think there was a thread a while ago where this aspect was discussed and I remember suggesting using a round rod (dowel) to whirlpool in a keggle and somebody actually reported that the theory works. If I remember right it's to do with distance to centre and not energising the stuff you are trying to precipitate too much with a high resistance spoon.

manticle said:
Really?

I use a keggle and whirlpool easily (and beautifully - it's like ballet without the tights).
There you go, ay? Well I've tried in a few different kegs/pick up setups and failed every time. I thought it may have had something to do with the ribbing or the convex bottom. Who knows!

Latest posts

Back