Gavo's 1st Partial Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well let's see how it goes. I will just have to decide on which of these to brew first. I think the Pommy EKG will get the vote. ;) Cheers and thanks for the coaching. :p

Cheers
Gavo.

Well the English special/best bitter is now in the fermenter. Temperature targets were met, 68 degree mash in and dropped to 65 degrees by the end of 65 min. I will wrap the tap and the top of the lid in a towel next time as heat could be felt escaping from these areas. Efficiency was a little lower than predicted 1039 pre-boil rather than 1042 for the nine litres. I will sparge a little slower next time in order to improve this. Liquid came off nice and clear. OG estimate of 1041 was spot on.
All in all a very simple process. Now to just let it do its thing.

Cheers
Gavo.

noice.
Nottingham should chew through it in no time, as well....
once its done, crash chill, fine it, give it a couple days cold for it to drop bright, bottle or keg, and bobs your fathers brother.....I love english...grain to brain in less than a fortnight (if kegging). :beerbang:

Don't forget - carb low....2vol or less. (I prefer bottled versions at 2, myself, but keg at 1.7 ish)

noice.
grain to brain in less than a fortnight (if kegging).

Don't forget - carb low....2vol or less. (I prefer bottled versions at 2, myself, but keg at 1.7 ish)

Thanks Butters.

Unfortunately still bottling here and will be for a while so grain to brain in three weeks. Will be bottling at 2 volumes.
Looking forward to trying it out.

Cheers
Gavo

Unfortunately still bottling here and will be for a while so grain to brain in three weeks.

perhaps its a good thing....my last batch, I fermented at Muckeys place....pitched sunday, crash chilled thursday, kegged saturday morning (2 1/2 kegs), finished the half keg, and started one of the full ones by saturday night..... :lol:

Nottingham should chew through it in no time,

That Nottingham is one busy yeast, down from 1041 to 1010 in four days. Racked to a secondary Friday arvo, started crash chilling yesterday midday, Gelatined this morning. Sample tastes great.

Cheers
Gavo.

Anything English is my passion. ;)

Anything ? How about Margaret Thatcher's inner thigh ?

*ahem* where were we.....

Good to see you're going well with this ferment Gavo. Is that sort of gravity change unusual though ? My first couple pretty much hit FG in three days (albeit with a slightly higher c) and my caramalt brew hit FG in four days, at lower temps.

Nottingham is one hungry little bugger....as are several of the English yeasts. 1041 to 1010 in four days, even at a decent temp is not unusual at all for this yeast.

Edit...and thanks for the mental image of Maggie. :wacko:

Yep, was fast. Temp sat at 18c for the duration (got to love the tempmate). ;) I have found that since I have got the tempmate and been able to keep a constant temp fermentation happens quicker. The yeast is not slowing down at cooler overnight temps. We do get a bit of desert weather here 38 degrees during the day 12 degrees overnight in summer.

Cheers
Gavo.

Back