Gassy beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent0

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have been brewing only since christmas and all has been going well.
I gas my kegs at 40 psi for 24 hrs and that usually works a treat.

My last pale ale is crazy gassy, ( all head)
Does this happen from time to time or is something wrong.
Its a pale ale. And it tastes ok,
Thanks

Might be a silly question but had fermentation completely finished?

I brewed a saison a while back that dropped a few extra points after kegging with similar results.

Think so,
My LHBS guy suggests these beers can be done at 1010
So i let it get to that, usually 6 days in fermenter.
Then into cube in fridge for 3 days, and check a couple times if there is a gas build up, by letting pressure off the cap a bit
Always make sure its (flat) before kegging,

Dang.

So basically, you kegged your beer as soon as it hit a magical number which might or might not have anything to do with where the FG is supposed to be?

FWIW, My pales normally finish at about 1.008.

Could well result in extra carbonation, but also the amount of C02 uptake when force carbing like you say (which is the same as I do) will depend on how cold the beer is when you start carbing, how much residual C02 is in the beer before carbing, and how quickly your fridge will get the beer down to fridge temperature. This is why I only carb to about 80% using the rapid carbing method, and then let the beer come to full carb under dispense pressure which is balanced to carbonation pressure, which in my system is about 90kpa.

Next time, let the beer ferment until it finishes fermenting, and then give it a few extra days to condition. The yeast will clear up the beer after they finish fermenting it, and then cold crash for a day or 3 before kegging. Should take about 2 weeks total. The cold crashed kegging will mean the beer is at least at a consistent temperature before force carbing.

If your beer is currently too fizzy, then its probably over carbed. Disconnect the gas, then release the pressure, give it a shake, and release the pressure again. Repeat until its no longer too fizzy. Be careful not to spray foam everywhere.

What dispensing pressure do you use?

Back